Increase font size
Topic Title: Best heat sink and fan for Athlon in an HP a1230n
Topic Summary: Overheating in an HP a1230n
Created On: 08/01/2012 11:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/01/2012 11:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wnlewis
Lurker

I have been having what appears to be overheating problems in an HP a1230n Pavilion with a stock Athlon processor.

If I keep the case open and turn a fan on the inside of the case the computer runs. If I do not do that, it locks up. Ambient (room) temperature is 84 to 85 degrees F.

The application SpeedFan indicates the processor is running with a core temperature that is acceptable. The "remote" temperature closely parallels the core about 30 degrees above. So, the core will read 84 degrees F and the remote will read 114 degrees F.

If the remote goes to 128 to 134 degrees F the computer rapidly (within 5 to 10 seconds) locks up.

I installed a new heat sink and fan. The interface between the CPU and heatsink is Arctic Silver 5. I put it on very carefully after cleaning the surfaces and prepping them according to Arctic Silver's web site.

If it is possible that I have a bad CPU, I have been thinking of upgrading to the best processor available for this computer. That might bring some stability and gain speed as well.

I have been fighting this for about a year. No money for a new computer (and too stubborn to give up till this is solved).

Thanks for any suggestions or solutions.

Neal Lewis
 08/21/2012 02:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Any bulging capacitors on motherboard? If there are, could be a reason it locks up, even after you changed heat sink & fan.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information