Increase font size
Topic Title: XP 2600+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/31/2004 06:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/31/2004 06:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Spiffus

Uhh, never mind below...I was able to set the CPU speed in the BIOS at 166, which seemed to do the trick. Of course, if this is very bad, please do let me know!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy,

I have a question that I think I know the answer to, but I am not sure.

I have an Epox 8KHA+ motherboard that had been running an XP 1800 processor. I recently updated the BIOS and saw online (at Epox's site) that it could take a 2600+ max processor. Of course, I did pay much heed to the top of the table where it said "Thoroughbred," and there was an "x" in the "Barton" column. Anyway, I went to CompUSA a few weeks ago and bought the only 2600+ I saw. Since I did not really know the difference between a Thoroughbred and a Barton, and it does not say either name on the box (all I saw was the amount of L2 cache and the speed rating of 1917 Mhz), I bought the chip there. I finally got a chance to install it today, and of course I find it is a Barton, which reads as a 2000+ at 1.52 Ghz. I guess it will run fine, but since my mobo only has 100 mhz and 133 mhz settings on the board, and 133 and 200 in the BIOS, I can't configure it to run at its true speed. Are there any suggestions on what I can do? Granted, 2000+ is better than 2600+, but I'm not sure that is worth the money I paid for that small bump. And of course, since I did not have a chance to change the proc within the 14 day return limit at CompUSA, I don't think I can exchange it. Of course, I don't think the folks there knew any more about the Thoroughbred/Barton than I did, so I had no clue it would do this.

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have if there is anything I can do. I'm thinking I'm just stuck with the wrong proc, but any thoughts would help. I think my RAM is the original DDR 2100.

Thanks in advance!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information