Increase font size
Topic Title: Alarm--First ower Up
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/06/2003 08:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/06/2003 08:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
neonchaos

I just finished building a new system, and when I powered it up, the system diagnostic showed all equipment properly present. I got ready to insert the operating system CD, the CD bay door opened, an alarm sounded, the CD door would not close, I powered down.

I repowered, cheking the fans, they were turning, (1 1/2 seconds) then the alarm sounded again and system locked up--including stopping the fans, I turned off the power. I tried again several times, with the same results.

I have checked over all my installations and they are as specified. I don't know what is causing the problem or how to fix it.

Any advice about this problem and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated. (I've built several systems, and never had anything like this happen before.)

Regards,

Neon Chaos

12/06/2003 08:55 PM

Author Icon
neonchaos

New data on the situation:

One hour later, I tried again. This time I was able to insert the Operating Disk, and close the door before the alarm sounded and the system locked up as before. The temerature gauage read 60 degrees C, so I am thinking the problem is temperrature related.

If it's overheating that quickly, why? and what can I do to fix it? (To the best of my knowledge, I installed the heat sink and the fans properly--I don't even know what to look for.)

Regards,

Neon Chaos
 12/06/2003 09:29 PM

Author Icon
Slaitech

Try resetting the processor in the socket and setting the HSF again, 60 C isn't exactly a danger zone but its not what you should be running at right after boot

-------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer
Gigabyte K8V800MAE K8T800 Mainboard
2x 512 MB Kingston Hyper X DDR400
PNY Verto GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information