Increase font size
Topic Title: Strange problem?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/22/2004 02:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/22/2004 02:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SolarisR
Overclocker

I'm currently running an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ system on an MSI K7 MB and I think I'm having an over-heating problem, but I'm not sure. The MSI board supports CPU critical temp, and almost every time I run my system for more then 5 minutes, it shuts itself down and a siren type sound can be heard coming from the internal spkr. I'm not sure why this is happening.

My CPU critical temp is set to 80C, with the AMD suggested at 85C. The hottest my system runs is in the upper 60s/lower 70s C.

I dont understand why I keep getting this problem, and any help would be much appreciated.
 01/22/2004 03:14 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

Is this a new system or did it just start happening you are way to hot? Sounds like a heatsink 180 degree out prob or possibly a clogged heatsink fin prob let me know I'll try and help u get it going. YOur systems motherboard is shutting system down due to heat emps also how did use grease or thermal pad?

-------------------------
Phenom 9600 BE @ 2.5 ghz | Ati HD2900XT | OCZ Titanium XTC DDR800 4Gigs | MSI K9A2 Platinum | XFi Xtreme | Zalman 9700 | Enermax 620W | Dell 2405 | G7 | G15
 01/22/2004 03:36 PM

Author Icon
pcy

Hi,

70C is far too hot - 85 is the fry temp: typical max error free operation is more like high 50s.

But it's possible your PC is in fact not that hot at all; and the CPU temp is simply over reading. That is very common.

But in your case it is not certain... yet.

We need to answer 2 questions:

1. Is your CPU actually running at 70C+
2. Does it shut itself down because the (reported) temperature is ging over 80C?

We need to be a bit careful, in case it is that hot.

So: Run the Cold PowerUp test
1. Let your machine cool down (overnight)
2. Power on, and go straght to the temps in the bios
3. Read the System and CPU temps. At the instant you power on both should be equal to air temp.
3. Compare the three temps to see if your CPU temp is over-reading.

Next look to see if MSI have issued any bios updates to fix CPU temperature.

And post your results.

If your CPU temp is not over-reading be very carefull - you are in the red zone. Look at all the heating issues like:

CPU cooler properly installed
Plenty of airflow
etc.

Peter

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information