Increase font size
Topic Title: Please Help me choose the correct AMD CPU
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/21/2004 07:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/21/2004 07:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
*~§EEK~*

I apologize for Re-posting my question again!
Unfortunately, I have not received any response(s) or assistance from anybody regarding my help question.

I would be extremely grateful for any help that anyone may have to offer.

Thankyou once again.

My original Post from September 11, 2004 is below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody know if my ABIT KG7-Raid Mobo will recognize either an Athlon XP 2400+, or the 2600+ CPUs?

The lastest BIOS update on ABIT's website for a KG7-Raid Mobo is "kg7ds" Compile Date: 3/06/2003.
Unfortunately, the above BIOS Update states nothing about added support for faster CPUs.

However, The BIOS Update "kg78s" Compile date: 04/11/2002 states that it supports: AMD Athlon XP CPU, 0.18 micron process Palomino up to 2100+ and 0.13 micron process Thoroughbred up to 2000+.
This BIOS Update "kg78s" Compile date: 04/11/2002 above is the only BIOS update with any information regarding added CPU support.

Are there any significant differences in CPU architecture in the later released 0.13 micron Thoroughbred cores after 2000+ that would prevent me from upgrading my current AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz Thunderbird processor to at least one of the Athlon XP 2400+ versions?

If I am able to upgrade the processor to an Athlon XP 2400+ which version should I purchase?

If I can not upgrade to a 2400+, then would I see much of a performance gain from only upgrading to an Athlon XP 2000+ CPU from my current CPU (An AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz Thunderbird CPU)?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you all may have!

PS. If I do not respond immediately, I have to work the night shift tonight & I should have crashed 2 hours ago, but you all know how time flies when your on the PC!

Thx..........
 09/21/2004 08:27 AM

Author Icon
Old Camper

The ABIT KG7-RAID motheboard has support for a 266 MHz Front Side Bus (FSB).

Thus, it can support Thoroughbred 'A' and Thoroughbred 'B' processors with a 266 MHz Front Side Bus.

There is an Athlon XP 2400+ with 266 MHz Front Side Bus, and your motherboard will support this.

See this' ">http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/ table for confirmation.

Check Newegg' ">http://www.newegg.com for prices.

Here' ">http://www.abit.com.tw/page/au...RODINFO=Specifications is the official webpage for your motherboard including specifications, I hunted that down for you

Old Camper

-------------------------
One day, humanity will advance forward and leave behind our humble little world to reach innumerable heights of technology, evolution and civilization, to bring our imaginations into the unsuspecting universe and ourselves... play God.
| Email/MSN: old_camper@hotmail.com | Visit the SSAA | IRC @ #forums.amd.irc on irc.d
 09/21/2004 12:00 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Can you manually setup your multiplier and Vcore inside the bios for your motherboard?

If you can, you may be able to use a socket A mobile XP.
If your board supports 2400+ and 2600+ (266) cpu's then you'd be better of buying a Retail 2400+, you will not notice any significant difference between a 2400+ and a 2600+, besides finding a 266 version of the 2600+ will be quite a pain...

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information