AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: BIOS "CPU Disconnect function" & CPU overheating?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/07/2003 09:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/07/2003 09:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dasarge

I've got an Athlon 2000XP running at 1667mhz (not oc'd), Abit KD7 mobo, couple of HDs, bigass copper cooling + fan on the CPU, Leadtek geforce4 ti4200 with Zalman heatpipe cooling, passive cooling on the northbridge, triple casefans (two in, one out), 512RAM, pretty clean interior with clear airflow through the case.

My onboard idle temp was usually between 60c and 65c (all temps are CPU surface readings), which seems a bit high to me. Under load the temp could reach 75 but the CPU would still be stable. While looking for a way to reduce onboard temp I heard somwhere that older Abit BIOSes puts load on the CPU even while it is idle, to reduce the change in temperature between full load and idle states, which would presumably extend the CPU lifetime (less metal fatigue, I guess...)

After updating to a newer BIOS which followed AMDs recommendation to not stress the CPU in this way by adding a "CPU Disconnect Function" to the BIOS, idle temperatures dropped to cirka 40-45c, but I can no longer put any serious workload on the CPU, as it usually hangs around 65-70 degrees.

Two questions:
1. Does anyone have similar problems?
2. Can anyone give me more info on the "CPU Disconnect Function"? I've looked all over for any specs or info but sofar zippo...

Any info greatly appreciated.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information