Increase font size
Topic Title: Computer Problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/20/2004 06:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/20/2004 06:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
xelmarkx

Hello all-

I built this computer last August:

AMD 2500+
GeForce 5900 Card
512 MB RAM
Windows XP

My problem basically is that if i am using a graphics intensive programs (usually games) it will just freeze, sound will continue to play on in a loop, and i am forced to hard shutdown. To try and resolve this ive looked online in several different forums, but never thought to come to AMD's site. So far i've replaced to power supply to 450W and added more fans both of which didnt resolve the problem. All the graphics drivers are up to date. Although i am curious about the differnt patches that AMD offers. Ive seen the one about the AGP graphics card and i dont exactly know what that means. Any input or suggestions would be great.

x
MaRK JaCobson

(I would consider my computer knowledge to be slightly above a normal persons)
 06/20/2004 09:15 AM

Author Icon
Ricky

What Board Make...??

Is there a Sound card or any other PCI cards added.../???

RAM what brans how many sticks...????

-------------------------
AN9 32x AM2 4600+ / KV8 MAX3 AMD 64 3400+/ AT7 MAX2 Barton 3800+
 06/20/2004 04:54 PM

Author Icon
xelmarkx

The memory is DDR 330

i have no other PCI cards just the graphics card

and what i got about the board was:
MSI K7N2 Delta-L

hope that helps. Thanks for the quick response too.
 06/20/2004 05:17 PM

Author Icon
parsifal

QUOTE (xelmarkx @ Jun 20 2004, 09:54 PM) The memory is DDR 330

??? Do you mean 333Mhz DDR PC2700?
In BIOS set the AGP Frequency to 66Mhz instead Auto pump up the AGP Voltage in 0.1v if this not work disable AGP Fast Write; hope this helps
 06/24/2004 06:45 PM

Author Icon
xelmarkx

i have no idea what you just said.
 06/24/2004 06:50 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

After it crashes, reboot and go straight to the hardware monitor in the system bios, then take note of the cpu temperature...

Or get a copy of speedfan or MBM5, install the software and tell us what the temperatures are when, the system is idle (doing nothing, just on) and when it is busy.

Later

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

06/24/2004 08:25 PM

Author Icon
parsifal

QUOTE (xelmarkx @ Jun 24 2004, 11:45 PM)i have no idea what you just said.
I don't know any "DDR 330" RAM modules, i even don't think it exists. For the 2500+ you need 333Mhz PC2700 DDR RAM modules' ">http://www.ec.kingston.com/eco...ngPNFind&submit=Search at least. You can use CPU-Z' ">http://cpuid.com/cpuz to know what RAM you are using and other system's info.
The other things i was talking about were BIOS settings related to Video Card: AGP Frequency (66Mhz is the stock freq for most Gfx) ; AGP voltage (maybe your video card needs more "power" to run stable) and AGP Fast Write (in some systems, this feature can bring stability problems). For a guy that consider his "computer knowledge to be slightly above a normal persons" you do need a lot of info dude... no, i'm just messing with you
The freezings are usually related to PSU, RAM and "bad" Video drivers but, it can also be Video Card's fault.
As you have changed the PSU (power supply unit) lets put it appart for the moment. That leaves us with, Video Card, RAM and drivers. I have just tell what you can do for the Vcard; for the RAM i suggest you test it with memtest86' ">http://memtest86.com while you sleep. You've updated the graphic drivers but i have to ask what exactly were those drivers? You should update both mobo's chipset and V.card drivers, you can do it here' ">http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp. if you don't have the WinXP SP1, you can update the display drivers at least (search the nVidia's website).
 06/25/2004 07:05 AM

Author Icon
xelmarkx

I've gotten the display drivers from nvidia and whatever AMD had for windows XP and AGP graphic cards. I've run that memory test before, and everything checked out fine....the CPU-Z gave me this on the RAM:

Wintec Industries DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 512MB
Frequency: 166.7MHz
FSBRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time 7 clocks

it seems that i dont have that much computer knowledge. i guess when i think of a normal person i think of my mom.

would all that video card adjusting be done at start-up?

is that temperature software available of the net?

thanks for the quick and thoughtful responses.
 06/25/2004 08:40 AM

Author Icon
cyberjunkie

I have had a similar problem on my MSI-KT6 Delta while using a RX9200se. The problem really was that I had forgotten to install the AGP port driver from the motherbaord's driver CD.

So try that.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information