AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: BSOD at 59 degrees Celsius?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/20/2004 10:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/20/2004 10:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
oakie

Hello everyone

I've been browsing these forums for a wihle to see whether I could find a solution to my problem, but it's still not clear to me...

I have :

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard
2 sticks of pc3200 ddr400 512 meg dimms (centron)
amd athlon XP 3000+ processor (333 mhz fsb)
thermaltake A1254 (Volcano 7+) heat sink + cooling fan
Soundblaster Audigy 2 platinum
an old 4x4x32 cd-rw drive
an old 6x dvd rom drive
a Western Digital 60 gb IDE hard drive ( i don't know the detailed specs on this)
PNY Verto 5900 SE Video card (Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 chipset)
3.5" 1.44 mb floppy drive
350 Watt power supply

The long detailed version of this story is :

I used to have this set up on an ABIT NF7 rev 2 motherboard, and an ATI Radeon 9800 128 Meg card. However, after a year of having it run stably, it just seemed to start giving BSOD's in 3d games. I've tried running 3dMark01 and saw that the pc would reboot regularly during a specific point in the test, so I replaced the card w/ the PNY Geforce card and had no problems in 3dmark01 any longer. The computer, however, would randomly blue screen in any 3d game I played, or wouldjust crash to desktop.

I tried replacing the ram and saw no successful results - sometimes the bsod's were STOP 00x00000001, sometimes it was 00x0000000A. I've had a few encounnters with BSOD listing nvmcp.sys and portcls.sys - either way it was always a pretty different message... and there wasn't ANYTHING I could do to ALWAYS REPLICATE A BLUESCREEN CRASH... it seemed to happen randomly during 3d gaming (but never during web browsing or non 3d intensive activities.)
I tried reformatting and reinstalling and it seemed to make the BSOD's worse (They were more frequent in City of Heroes, which is the game I've been playing the most lately) -

The shorter less detailed version of the story:
I've started using some of the tools these forums mentioned and here are the results that I think are important:

If I set my bios to use a 166mhz external frequency with 13.0x multiplier, I can make prime95 give me a rounding error within almost 5 minutes of torture testing (round down failed, expected 0.4 but received 0.5)

If I set my bios to use a 166mhz freq w/ 12.5 or 12.0 or 11.0 multiplier, Prime95 no longer complains - BUT, the pc seems to shut itself down at 59 degrees celsius on the cpu socket.

59 degrees doesn't seem too high from what I've read... and it always seems to be at around 59 so far.

My question's are

1) Is it my power supply that's causing my problems? Is my computer just running out of juice to provide the cpu ? (It just seems odd that this has now become a problem after a year of usage...)

2) Is the processor itself bad? Or am I running it too hot? I've seen reports of people running at 65+ degrees and having none of the problems I've had, but I dont think they're playing the same game or using prime95 as their testing tool

I'm REALLY lost on this one... I even tried taking out the sound card and running the onboard sound on the motherboard and still had crashes, so there's definitely nothing wrong with the sound card afaik....

Any suggestions? I already ordered a 550 watt Aerocool PSU and it should be here in about a week, but in the odd case it doesnt' fix my problem, is it safe to assume it's the CPU that seems bad?
 06/20/2004 11:13 AM

Author Icon
OliverMaltby

I think that either of the following are to blame:

Your PSU isn't powerful enough to allow your system to run properly, e.g. your PSU can only cope for a few mins on full load (which would explain your problem in Prime95).

Your motherboard is set up so that once you reach 59 degrees, it shuts down because it thinks that your system/processor is getting too hot. If possible you should up this to around 65 degrees as it would probably solve your problem.

I hope this is of any help to you.

-------------------------
ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 Athlon ULi m1695 | AMD 64 3200+ S939 | 2 x OCZ Premier 512MB DDR400 CL 2.5-3-3-7 | Tagan TG430-U15 430W PSU (40A on combined 12V) | Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 160Gb 8Mb Cache | Point Of View nVidia GeForce 6800GS | Creative Audigy 2 ZS | Logitech 5.1 X-530 Sound System | Hauppauge PVR250 | Liteon DVDR+-
 06/20/2004 01:02 PM

Author Icon
oakie

Thank you for your suggestions When I get home, I'll check my bios to see what the shutdown temperature is.

When I get the new 550 watt psu I ordered and install it, I'll give it a shot and see how it works. I hope that is the solution to all the problems I've been having!
 06/20/2004 08:00 PM

Author Icon
oakie

Does anyone have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard? What's the method to set my cpu temperature shutdown threshold? I can't find anywhere to change it (And it seems to shut down when the cpu reaches 59 or 60 degrees celsius)

06/20/2004 08:55 PM

Author Icon
parsifal

Well, i don't have the motherboard but i know the BIOS setup and user's guide (is pretty much like the others A7N8X models) and there (in BIOS) you won't find any setting to control the "shut down threshold" (no jumpers either), what you can do is use the PC Probe utility that cames with mobo's CD (though i think the software doesn't shuts down the system but gives user an alarm, but i'm not sure) and set the CPU Temperature Threshold to 72ºC (default).
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information