Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrading memory
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/25/2004 03:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/25/2004 03:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
buckmstr

I have an Athlon 1.4 CPU using 512Mb PC2100 memory. I don't know on what motherboard (I have an OEM machine).

I want to run 1Gb of memory, of higher spec than PC2100. Can I do that, or shoudl I upgrade meotherboard and or CPU?

Can I run an Athlon XP from the mother board I have at present?

The machine was built in September 2001.
 01/25/2004 05:07 PM

Author Icon
Aubrey

You answered you own question it is probably time to think about the big picture. Or just live with what you have and save money. There are some really nice outfits to be had today.

-------------------------
( Quote )
Possession of a powerful computer is no substitute for a working brain.
A working brain is no substitute for possession of a powerful computer.
 01/25/2004 05:26 PM

Author Icon
SDA

QUOTE I want to run 1Gb of memory, of higher spec than PC2100. Can I do that, or shoudl I upgrade meotherboard and or CPU?
You can, yes, but there's really no reason to go above PC2100 unless you have an Athlon XP. PC2100 is rated for 133MHz (266MHz effective) operation, which is just right for your Athlon's FSB (assuming it has a 133MHz FSB, but if it doesn't then your PC2100 is in fact overkill)

QUOTE Can I run an Athlon XP from the mother board I have at present?
I honestly can't know without knowing what motherboard you have. If it supports an Athlon 1.4, odds are it supports a Palomino-core Athlon XP, but you might also need to flash your BIOS to get an XP to work, and you can't really flash your BIOS without knowing what board you have.

You might be able to find out what kind of motherboard you have with CPU-Z' ">http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php. Run CPU-Z, go to the "Mainboard" tab, and see what it says for "manufacturer" and "model" (and "chipset", if you want, but if the manufacturer and model are in there then there's no real need).

-------------------------
DEC Pentium X2 5200+ w/ HyperCache (Ezra core)
Asus M7NCD-MAX3 (OPTi Vendetta 82C760)
6x Generic 32MB PC2700 RDRAM (50ns SIMMs)
2x nVidia Millennium X1800 Duo (SLI mode)
12x (daisy-chained) Quantum Medalist 180GXP (w/ separate SCSI-1 adapter)

"Oh, you started a Rube Goldberg machine. A Rube Goldberg machine... called JUSTICE." <a href='http://www.boomspeed.com/old_camper/amdforumsircchat.ht
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information