AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: OK to reverse CPU fan direction?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/14/2004 05:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/14/2004 05:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rob.noble

Hello,

I'm about to start building a new PC (when all the parts arrive have arrived). I'm using a mini-tower case that has the PSU on it's side. The 120cm fan on the underside of the PSU will face the motherboard, right above where the CPU goes. I'm using a retail Athlon 2600 Barton (ie. it comes with an AMD fan). I think the CPU fan would normally blow onto the CPU heatsink, but as it will be right below the PSU fan that is blowing in the opposite direction, would it be ok to reverse the direction of the CPU fan so that it blows hot air from the CPU into the PSU and out?

I haven't actually got the CPU yet. When it arrives I might find it doesn't fit in the gap under the PSU with it's fan on, in which case I'll have to resort to plan B (buy a new, bigger case instead of using an old one).

Thanks in advance,

Rob.
 08/14/2004 05:32 PM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

120cm fan huh, that's pretty damned big...lol

It's really a tough call, it might work, but it might not. There are a couple of heatsinks out there that do use a fan blowing away from the heatsink, but not many. Also, I'm pretty sure this would void the retail pack warranty.

-Adam
 08/14/2004 05:36 PM

Author Icon
rob.noble

Erm. Ok I meant 12cm.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information