Increase font size
Topic Title: Gigabyte GA-71XE Motherboard
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/10/2003 12:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/10/2003 12:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Univacop03

[SIZE=7]

Hi, I hope someone here can help me with a computer I just dug out of the dumpster. Yes you read that correctly, I found this computer and another one (I do not know if the other one works yet) in a dumpster along with two sets of self powered speakers, with the A/C adapters, two programable keyboards that work and one working mouse. After about three days of drying with a hair dryer and cleaning/dusting with can air and cleaning off the slop (no kidding) I got down to business on this one computer and after some troubleshooting, it worked. Anyway as you can see under my topic title, this computers motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-71XE. The processor is a Athlon slot (not socket) A and runs at 750. The chip set is the AMD 751/761 and I am downloading the drivers here for this chip set as I write this. As you can see I have done some homework but still have some unanswered questions.

How powerful of a slot A processor can I use in this board? Can I use a 4X video card, such as the Geforce 4 440, in this boards 2X AGP slot? Does the power box at 250 watts need to be upgraded to, lets say, 300 watts? Does anyone know why the BIOS and manual for this board is so lame? The manual does not discuss what that last switch 4 is for, as 1-3 is for the FSB. Those of you that own this board will know what I am talking about with this last remark. Does anyone know what video cards it likes the best and the ones to stay away from?

I thank anyone for there time with this.
 12/10/2003 12:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SDA

QUOTE (Univacop03 @ Dec 9 2003, 09:00 PM)[SIZE=7]
How powerful of a slot A processor can I use in this board? Can I use a 4X video card, such as the Geforce 4 440, in this boards 2X AGP slot? Does the power box at 250 watts need to be upgraded to, lets say, 300 watts? Does anyone know why the BIOS and manual for this board is so lame? The manual does not discuss what that last switch 4 is for, as 1-3 is for the FSB. Those of you that own this board will know what I am talking about with this last remark. Does anyone know what video cards it likes the best and the ones to stay away from?

1. About 1GHz is as high as you can go, I think.
2. Yes.
3. Probably not, if it's running OK now.
4. No idea.
5. Again, no idea.

-------------------------
DEC Pentium X2 5200+ w/ HyperCache (Ezra core)
Asus M7NCD-MAX3 (OPTi Vendetta 82C760)
6x Generic 32MB PC2700 RDRAM (50ns SIMMs)
2x nVidia Millennium X1800 Duo (SLI mode)
12x (daisy-chained) Quantum Medalist 180GXP (w/ separate SCSI-1 adapter)

"Oh, you started a Rube Goldberg machine. A Rube Goldberg machine... called JUSTICE." <a href='http://www.boomspeed.com/old_camper/amdforumsircchat.ht
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information