Increase font size
Topic Title: Locking up
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/24/2004 06:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/24/2004 06:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ZuA

I have a semi new +2200. I got it about 3 months ago. Recently my computer was acting funny and slower then normal so i formated. It started acting even more weird and having programs not responding out of random, so I formated again. Now whenever I start up the copmuter it works great for about 10 minutes and then programs start to fail and when I go to kill them they still sit there for a few minutes. Then usualy every program locks up and I cant even ctrl+alt+delet. After walking away from it and coming back about a half an hour later everything clears up and runs but everything is very slow and locks up again after about 5 minutes. It actualy just completely locked up to the point where i could not even move my mouse. I checked to see if the heatsink was on properly and it seems all ok. I keep my eye on the cpu tempature and it stays aroun 95-100 degrees throught the whole time. Any ideas whats wrong?
 07/24/2004 07:11 PM

Author Icon
pointreyes

degrees: C or F?

If C then your computer is locking up because the proc should not be operating at that temp. Check the thermal compound between the proc and HS and even just check the HS, it could just be covered with dust. Also, if your bios supports it-set it to shutdown once it reaches a certain temp. 95C is way too much for the proc to handle.

-------------------------
Diagram of Hardware Profile' ">http://members.dsl-only.net/~pointreyes/ga/hsystem.jpg

BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.
 07/24/2004 09:31 PM

Author Icon
ZuA

No 95-100 F
 07/24/2004 09:52 PM

Author Icon
ZuA

Hmm, in the processes list the System Idle Process CPU usage is at like a constant 94-99....i forgot isn't the system idle process like the cpu usage NOT being used?
 07/25/2004 12:03 AM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

You probably have a bunch of spyware bogging your system down, download Adaware and try that.

-Adam
 07/25/2004 10:05 PM

Author Icon
ZuA

used spy sweeper ad-aware and spybot and foun nothing.
 07/26/2004 04:44 AM

Author Icon
desteven

If it is newly formatted, I don't think spyware would be the problem right away, although spyware WILL do that to your system.

How old, what size/speed, and how big is your hard drive? It could be gettin ready to go dead.

I've run my OS on a 6gig 5400rpm hard drive since 1998 and over the past year+ I've experienced a lot of strange things that I could only contribute to the hard drive. I just replaced it today with a seagate SATA drive. I've noticed the speed differnce, especially in boot up time. Everything is running just peachy for now, and hopefully it will continue.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information