Increase font size
Topic Title: Multiplier on Palaminos
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/14/2004 07:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/14/2004 07:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
NKX

Can anyone tell me if an AMD Palamino CPU (0.18 micron Athlon XP 1600+ actually) has been clock locked, rather, its multiplier hard set in the chip?

My system runs an thermal sensing cooling system which includes a ThermalTake Volcano 11+ HSF - this thing can get incredibly loud when it hits around 51 degrees celcius... I have found that the software application CPUIdle Extreme is able to send HLT commands using a C2 state, and will lower my CPU temperature by more than enough to make my system quiet again... however it has a known issue with half multiplier CPUs not waking up and freezing at times. As I have a multiplier of 10.5, I have this issue.

I am experiecing great cooling for about 1 day before my PC hangs, and would like to resolve this issue, currently the only way is to tweak your FSB and increase or decrease your multiplier in the BIOS so that the multiplier is a whole number... I can't for the life of me get this thing to take. If set at 11, it still uses the FSB I set, but will ONLY multiply by 10.5 still, effectively killing my cooling needs.

Can someone please help me out.

Cheers

Murray Webber
 12/14/2004 08:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMD808

If your multiplier isn't changing by any means in the BIOS, then it is most likely locked. This is where overclockers used the "wire trick" to unlock their Palomino CPUs.

This is something I would not try unless you know what you're doing.

As for the software you're using, I have no experience with it, however, I would not use 3rd party software to cool a CPU as that may cause conflicts or hang ups within your system.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information