Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon XP 3000+ (400MHz) CPU quiet cooling
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/15/2003 12:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/15/2003 12:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
edjc3

Hi:

I put together a machine with:

Athlon XP 3000+ CPU (the one with 400MHz)
Chieftec Case
SATA 120 GB HD
1 GB Corsair matched RAM @400 MHz
ASUS A7NX Deluxe mobo
Volcano 9 CPU cooler
128MB graphics board (MSI)
Enermax 400W PS (w/adjustable fan)

I love this system, but my wife complains about the loud noise. I don't think it's the graphics, might be the fan built into the cases' side.

Pretty sure it's the Volcano (Maybe it sounds like a volcano???). So my question: can someone tell me of a good CPU Heatsink/fan that will give me the quiet I need without worrying about overheating? I'm not overclocking, and I don't notice a sound level increase during games. Just sounds like a jet engine.

I've heard that Zalman makes a good, quiet processor cooling fan. What is the story on this? AMD does not have this listed as a recommended CPU cooler.

Any thoughts?
........before I'm banned from using the computer after 10:00 PM?????

Thanks!
 12/15/2003 12:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ÂMĐF®ëâĸ

You're at a disadvantage when it comes to your case putting out the sound of a F-16's. Zalman sounds cool, but I haven't done any sound tests, but i can recommend you one thing: Pick up a copy of MaximumPC Winter 2004 Special Issue, and flip to page 28. That's an article called "How to Quiet the Vacuum Cleaner You Call a PC" It explains everything how to knock off few decibels off your PC emulating the jet.

The reason I am at an advantage is I am hearing-impaired. But that's not the case, because I have a Volcano 6Cu+ running like a freight train when the proc temp hits 53º C. That said, I can FEEL it. All other 80mm case fans are Silencers.

-------------------------
"Wild flowers may die, but the blooming idiots last forever!"

ÂMĐF®ëâĸ
PC Doctor of Jacksonville

InWin Q500N ATX, EPoX EP-8KHA+/AMD Athlon 1333/Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu+, ATI Xpert2000
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information