Increase font size
Topic Title: No system boot
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/23/2003 12:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/23/2003 12:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pcrookie

Hello, I purchased 4 ASROCK K7VM2 motherboards(AMI bios) with AMD 2100xp CPUs of which two went together flawlessly. The other 2 were put together using the wrong IDE cables that were bought at a local office supply store. The hired help told me incorrectly that the IDE cables he stocked were the appropriate ones for my Ultra ATA drives and DVD/CDRW/CDROM combo drives. I powered the computers up and got the same start up indications as the other good computers but then they froze up. I recognized the problem with the cables and have since installed the correct cables. Now, the screen on one computer goes through the memory check and then recognizes the hard drive and CD/DVD but then stops. I get no ability to enter the BIOS as the computer doesn't seem to accept input from the keyboard. I tried startup with out the cables and the computer then goes through the part where it says the Primary drive and CDrom are not installed and then comes up with the message "FDC error, press F1 to continue" (note: no floppy drives are installed in any of the 4 computers.) Again, pressing F1 on the keyboard does nothing and the computer acts as though it doesn't recognize the keyboard. HELP!!!

The other computer doesn't even keep the monitor on long enough to see what's happening; it keeps going into standby. Help please....

Is there a way to have the computers cleared, so that it rechecks for the hardware installed and reconfigures the BIOS to get to a point where I can load the operating system from the CDROM on to the hard drive?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance, PCROOKIE.
 11/23/2003 07:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MadMarky

So the systems sometimes stop on the floppy disk error? Change the 'halt on all errors' setting in the bios, after that the system won't give the error and could start up...

-------------------------
AMD Athlon X2 4600+ @ 2.8Ghz
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
2x 1GB G.Skill PC4000
XFX GeForce 7900GT
Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU
Thermaltake Xaser III case
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information