AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Symptoms of Dead Processor?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/04/2005 08:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2005 08:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MSIFreak

I have a MSI-KT4 Ultra Motherboard and AMD AthlonXP 1800+ Processor yesterday the computer stopped running. I have eliminated the following.
I get no display at all.

Video Card works --- tested on other computer
Ram -- I think works since the minute I take em out of the motherboard the computer beeps. ( I take em out after i turn it off )
Processor -- ????????
HDD - Works tested on other computer and can hear it spin up ... doesnt do anything else after it spins up. ( on my computer)
LCD --- works tested out on laptop.
CPU Fan runs, North bridge fan runs, and system fan runs... no display though

Could it be the processor?

thanks

11/04/2005 09:23 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

beside the processor, it could be the mainboard...how do the capacitors on the board look, are they bloated at the tops or bottoms, are they leaking brown crud?

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

11/05/2005 12:21 AM

Author Icon
MSIFreak

QUOTE(MD Willington @ Nov 4 2005, 07:23 PM)beside the processor, it could be the mainboard...how do the capacitors on the board look, are they bloated at the tops or bottoms, are they leaking brown crud?
[right][snapback]538660[/snapback][/right]

No they are not bloated at all, also they are not leaking anything. Also when I take out the ram or the video card it beeps.
 11/05/2005 07:52 PM

Author Icon
MSIFreak

QUOTE(MSIFreak @ Nov 4 2005, 10:21 PM)No they are not bloated at all, also they are not leaking anything.  Also when I take out the ram or the video card it beeps.
[right][snapback]538789[/snapback][/right]

Is it a dead processor?
or Motherboard?
 11/05/2005 11:47 PM

Author Icon
AMD808

QUOTE(MSIFreak @ Nov 4 2005, 06:21 PM)No they are not bloated at all, also they are not leaking anything.  Also when I take out the ram or the video card it beeps.
[right][snapback]538789[/snapback][/right]

I would be scared if it did not beep. Those are two components that are needed for the PC to POST properly.

Have you made any recent software and / or hardware changes to the computer? Have you cleared out the CMOS setup by removing the battery from the motherboard?

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/06/2005 04:38 PM

Author Icon
MSIFreak

QUOTE(AMD808 @ Nov 5 2005, 09:47 PM)I would be scared if it did not beep.  Those are two components that are needed for the PC to POST properly. 

Have you made any recent software and / or hardware changes to the computer?  Have you cleared out the CMOS setup by removing the battery from the motherboard?
[right][snapback]539363[/snapback][/right]

No recent software or hardware changes... Computer had froze when i was playing empire earth 2. I rebooted and that was that. I have cleared out the cmos and have removed the battery. still no change.

Also if it will help this is the specs of my power supply.

+5Volts: 25A
+3.3Volts: 20A
+12Volts: 13A
-5Volts: .3A
-12Volts: .8A
+5VSB: 1.5A

Peak Load: 300W
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information