Increase font size
Topic Title: Warranty obligation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/26/2005 02:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/26/2005 02:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CharnK

I bought Athlon XP 2000+ from Com7, a local distributor here in Thailand. The complete package included the original AMD-heat sink and fan, a certificate of authenticity and 3-year limited warranty. The CPU was installed on a Gigabyte 7VAXP motherboard. The system failed periodically and I took it to Surprise Computer, a local computer store which said the problem was caused by overheating of the motherboard. The motherboard was replaced on warranty once. Eventually Windows XP Pro failed to boot, and Surprise Computer said the Gigabyte MB burned again, and this time the original AMD-provided fan also broke. I needed to buy a Soltek KT-400C instead because the original warranty on the Gigabyte motherboard expired. At the same time, the heat sink and fan was replaced by a generic one. After this, the computer kept booting itself in the middle of my work. The Soltek Hardware Monitor program said the CPU temp was over 80 degrees while the fan was running at 4400 rpm. The repairman at Surprise Computer narrowed the problem down to the defect of the CPU because a replacement CPU did not run at such a high temp. Since the warranty on my Athlon XP is still good for 2 more months, Surprise Computer contacts Com7 for a replacement. Com7 refuses to honor the warranty because it requires that Surprise Computer turns in both the CPU and the original heat sink and fan. As everyone might have guessed, Surprise Computer has thrown away the broken original AMD-provided heat sink and fan.

I still have the original serial number tag of my Athlon XP 2000+, the Warranty booklet and the box cover. Please help!!!

Charn
 11/26/2005 12:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TLH

Sounds to me like Surprise Computers is at fault.If they carried out the work under warranty they should take the blame and bear responsibility.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information