Increase font size
Topic Title: XP install freezes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/08/2005 08:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/08/2005 08:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kurtismonger

I have a tricky problem here. Last week my XP Pro workstation froze up and would not reboot. I tried all safe modes and tried to reach the recovery console. Nothing worked. I did have Linux dual booted on this system and was able to see all my windows files. I have even tried reinstalling XP, but the install keeps freezing at a black screen after a message that states setup is going to detect my settings. I have also tried a Server 2003 CD and it freezes on the blue screen after the drivers have loaded with the message "Setup is starting windows". I am pulling my hair out here and could really use some help. See below for system specs and the troubleshooting I have done so far.

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1.8 GB RAM (256/512/1gb Crucial)
2 IDE hard drives
1 SATA hard drive
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra MB
ATI Radeon 9700
Creative Audigy2.ZS
Sony DVD burner
AOpen CDROM

Throubleshooting
- Checked all cables and connections
- Verified that XP install cd works correctly on other systems
- Tried a new hard drive (seperately from SATA)
- Tried a new SATA hard drive (seperately from IDE's)
- Tried all new IDE cables
- Tried booting from MS XP boot floppies (get a disk I/O error)
- swapped out each stick of ram in turn.
- Disconnected everything except CDROM, 1 stick of ram, 1 hd and video card
- When I use the CDROM player to install I get a message "Line 2600 of the inf file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid. Setup cannot continue.
- When I use the DVD player I get as far as described in the first paragraph
- Tried a different video card.
- Flashed the BIOS of the Gigabyte MB
- Replaced the Gigabyte MB with a new ABIT AN7 MB
- Ran and passed MS Windows Memory Diagnostic utility

The only thing left that I can think of is the CPU. However, as I said I was able to run Linux without a hiccup (I would be happy to run only Linux, however I have to run XP for work). I've never experienced a failed CPU before. I assumed when the croaked they just wouldn't work at all. Is it possible my problem is the CPU? And more importantly is there any way to verify this without going out and buying a new CPU?
 08/08/2005 11:13 PM

Author Icon
woodeye

QUOTE(Kurtismonger @ Aug 8 2005, 07:53 AM)I have a tricky problem here....
I did have Linux dual booted on this system and was able to see all my windows files. I have even tried reinstalling XP, but the install keeps freezing at a black screen...
I am no expert in anything but since I have a similar bug let me present few ideas.
Throubleshooting
- Checked all cables and connections
- Tried all new IDE cables
hope they are 40 pins 80 wires  /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
- Tried booting from MS XP boot floppies (get a disk I/O error)
was the error coming from the disket or main drive (c did you get a c: prompt /blush.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blush.gif' />
- - Disconnected everything except CDROM, 1 stick of ram, 1 hd and video card /dry.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='dry.gif' />
good approach,  try also with just a floppy reader with a bootable disket instead of CD.  /rolleyes.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='rolleyes.gif' />
- Flashed the BIOS of the Gigabyte MB
if you flash the BIOS it means that the floppy reader is working on less you  mean  "reset" the BIOS from the MB. /huh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='huh.gif' />
- Replaced the Gigabyte MB with a new ABIT AN7 MB
[right][snapback]476514[/snapback][/right]

my God and it still failed or did you get into some snags presenting the same symtom. /ohmy.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='ohmy.gif' />
The only thing left that I can think of is the CPU. However, as I said I was able to run Linux without a hiccup
The boot selection is it done from the Linux drive or XP. if from XP I would look at the boot.ini file something goes awire when you boot from there to XP but goes ok if you load Linux. MBR failure may be ?
My system is dead, it only puts out some sort of "reset" to the HD and CD at exactly every 8 seconds...the LED's flash. I am asking myself the same question is it the CPU or the "MB including the bios chip". So far I am voting for the CPU.
 08/09/2005 12:39 AM

Author Icon
Kurtismonger

QUOTE(woodeye @ Aug 8 2005, 10:13 PM)my God and it still failed or did you get into some snags presenting the same symtom. /ohmy.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='ohmy.gif' />
The only thing left that I can think of is the CPU. However, as I said I was able to run Linux without a hiccup
The boot selection is it done from the Linux drive or XP. if from XP I would look at the boot.ini file  something goes awire when you boot from there to XP but goes ok if you load Linux. MBR failure may be ?
My system is dead, it only puts out some sort of "reset" to the HD and CD at exactly every 8 seconds...the LED's flash. I am asking myself the same question is it the CPU or the "MB including the bios chip". So far I am voting for the CPU.
[right][snapback]477119[/snapback][/right]

- Yes, they were all proper IDE cables
- No C: prompt, floppy would spin and the return Disk I/O error
- Yes, I flashed the BIOS from a floppy and I agree that means the floppy is working
- yep, replaced the MB and still getting the same symtoms. repeated all troubleshooting steps with the new motherboard
- I have also run a memory diagnostic from a floppy and all RAM passed with no errors
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information