Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrading from Duron 750 to XP2400+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/13/2005 07:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/13/2005 07:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AxelJ

I have tried to upgrade my computer from Duron 750 to XP2400+ a couple of times now but never managed to get it to start. My hardware is a Soltek SL-75KAV motherboard and a 300W PSU. The problem is that the computer runs beautifully with the Duron processor but it won't start with either one of the two 2400+ processors I have tried with. The things that happens when I push the start button is that the fans spins up and, if I have the harddisks in, the HD-led lights up. After that, when I switch back to the Duron processor, it won't start with that either?! Not until I wait for about ten minutes or if I change PSU(another 300W PSU of a different brand), than it starts as normal. It seems that one or more of the voltage regulators in the PSU is overloaded when I use any of the two 2400+ processors. The questions is then: Is there a possibillity that a damaged motherboard that should support AMD processors up to Athlon XP 2600+ Thorougbread can run a Duron with no errors and not a XP2400+? I have noticed that two of the capacitors on the side of the processorslot has expanded and it looks like one of them has leaked some dielectricum in the center of the cross.
 12/13/2005 07:33 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Try the new processor without all the extra stuff plugged in...just see if you can get it to post.

Your board make and model is a known "bad cap" mainboard...Soltek was sending out free replacement capacitors for those mainboards but have started charging for the replacements...you may want to do a physical inspection of your mainboard for failing components...

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

12/14/2005 05:55 PM

Author Icon
AxelJ

I have already done that. I have stripped it down to the processor only and it still won't even beep. The questions are then, is there any capacitor that's not in use when using a Duron processor? Is it possible that the motherboard can work with the lighter load or the lower frequency of a Duron 750 processor and not the Athlon XP 2400+? Where can I get hold of the capacitors?
 12/14/2005 05:59 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

First...the Duron does not require the same power as the XP, so it is possible it could work with the lower powered processor.

Second...you may want to see if the capacitors are bad first before jumping into a recap.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

12/14/2005 06:34 PM

Author Icon
AxelJ

As I mentioned earlier at least two of the cap's have expanded at the top, one of them even seem to have leaked some dielectricum in the cross at the top. It doesn't definitly need to be that they are bad but I think it is a bad notice.
 12/14/2005 08:47 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

Yep, time to fix it then...

try here:

http://www.badcaps.net/' ">http://www.badcaps.net/

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information