Increase font size
Topic Title: Processor Overheating 102+ Celcius
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/08/2005 11:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/08/2005 11:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ravage_D

Hello,

The system in question is:
Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton Core
Generic stock Heatsink and Cooling Fan (came with the processor)
AOpen ATX-250N Power supply

My friend and I were playing some UT2K4 online yesterday and he was using my second computer. All of a sudden things started lagging and we had to shut down the machine. Upon reboot, my motherboard (Asus A7V8X-X) warned that there was an error (I'm afraid I don't recall what it was) and upon checking the CPU temperature in the BIOS, it read 102 Degrees Celsius and rising!
Everything inside the case was too hot to touch. Hard Drives especially, as well as Graphics Card (Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti-4400).

I believe the BIOS reported the Motherboard Heat being around 60 Degrees Celsius.

Every time I turn on the PC the temperature climbs slowly, and I haven't had it on long enough to get up past 50 Degrees.

So much for Asus's CPU Overheating Protection. The setting was put to shut down if the CPU reached 95 Degrees Celsius, but I had to shut it down manually after it screwed up, only to find the temperature above 102C.

I have never overclocked, or even attempted to overclock the machine. The only relatively new changeover is the Power Supply (my biggest suspect right now). I've moved it over to my older box as I've purchased a new system (see signature).

I've used the machine before for many hours in it's new setup playing UT. This is the first time that this has happened.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

-Ravage D

-------------------------
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 3000+ Socket 939
Asus N6600GT-TOP 128 Meg SLI Video Card
2 x 512MB PC3200 OCZ
Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
Viewsonic VP171s 17" LCD Flatscreen Display
 08/09/2005 02:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
aetius

QUOTE(Ravage_D @ Aug 8 2005, 09:04 PM)Hello,

The system in question is:
Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton Core
Generic stock Heatsink and Cooling Fan (came with the processor)
AOpen ATX-250N Power supply
My friend and I were playing some UT2K4 online yesterday and he was using my second computer. All of a sudden things started lagging and we had to shut down the machine. Upon reboot, my motherboard (Asus A7V8X-X) warned that there was an error (I'm afraid I don't recall what it was) and upon checking the CPU temperature in the BIOS, it read 102 Degrees Celsius and rising!
Everything inside the case was too hot to touch. Hard Drives especially, as well as Graphics Card (Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti-4400).

I believe the BIOS reported the Motherboard Heat being around 60 Degrees Celsius.

Every time I turn on the PC the temperature climbs slowly, and I haven't had it on long enough to get up past 50 Degrees.

So much for Asus's CPU Overheating Protection. The setting was put to shut down if the CPU reached 95 Degrees Celsius, but I had to shut it down manually after it screwed up, only to find the temperature above 102C.

I have never overclocked, or even attempted to overclock the machine. The only relatively new changeover is the Power Supply (my biggest suspect right now). I've moved it over to my older box as I've purchased a new system (see signature).

I've used the machine before for many hours in it's new setup playing UT. This is the first time that this has happened.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

-Ravage D
[right][snapback]477111[/snapback][/right]

That is really hot! While I am not a 100% sure what it is (others here might know) I have read that excessive heat can be caused by a weak Power Supply.

And from what you are saying it sounds like the power supply. Alot of people over look the importance of a good brand power supply while building a great system. You should swap out the PS with another one (that is known to work good) and if that is the culprit, pick up a good 450watt+ PS. Don't be cheap!

-------------------------
Main system,
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego 1mb L2, ASUS A8v, 2.0gb Corsair Twin-X, PNY 6800GS(T) 256mb 16/6,WD 250gb 7200/8, Sony DRU-710a,LG DVD-16x, Windows XP Pro SP2, Enermax Noisetaker 420w, DSL

Video editing system
XP 2800+ Barton , ASROCK K7VT4A+, 1.0gb Corsair XMS Cas 2, MSI FX 5900xt 128mb, Samsung 80gb 7200/2, Sony DRU-810a DVDR/RW-DL & MSi DVD 16, Audigy Platinum, Windows XP Pro SP2, Antec 300w, DSL-Lan hookup.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information