Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD XP 2000 Issues
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/01/2005 11:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/01/2005 11:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMD_XP_Dude

I have an AMD XP 2000 processor. I havn't overclocked it, It has a over sized heat sink and fan. Im running it on a MSI KT266 Combo board. To keep it cool enuff to use I'm running a large house fan beside it blowing cool air into the case and Im running a cooling program that came with my board called CoolerXP. With both of those in place it runs with low load at 39 deg celcius. If I put the panel back on the side of the case, take the fan off and disable cooler XP it runes with a low load at 53 Deg. Celcius. If Im running a game it will run fine for nearly an hour and then it will lockup because of heat....When I restart my comp and go to my bios just after it locks up the temp. is above 60 Deg celcius. I need to send this processor back to AMD or figure out away to keep it cool. I bought the processor and board from an individual so I doubt AMD will warrenty it. Im hoping that they have a recall on them or something because I need my PC and I love to play PC games. Any suggestion, help or anything would be much appreciated.

07/01/2005 11:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stealth13777

Yeah, improve the cooling of your case. I'm assuming the overheating problems ensue when the side of your case is on, meaning simple that you either need a better case or you need to add fans to this case. You should also check the thermal compound on the cpu and replace it if necessary. Do not ever toch it with your fingers as that can add oil to it and reduce its effectiveness. I would also consider a new heatsink/fan. I have seen both AMD supplied heatsinks and "aftermarket" heatsinks, and the biggest difference is the number of fins; my thermaltake heatsink has possibly a hundred more fins than the amd heatsink even though they are the same size, resulting in better cooling.

-------------------------
-The Desktop: Abit NF7-S V2 w/ the old AXP-M 2500+ (OC'd) and TT Volcano 12, 1 gig RAM, 37GB WD Raptor, 80Gb Hitachi, XFX NVidia GEForce FX 5700LE (OC'd), Enermax Aluminum Case and XClio 450watt psu, DL DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM (+ floppy)
SB Audigy 2 ZS
-Everyday:HP Laptop 15.4WS w/Turion64x2 TL-56, 2gig, 160gb, Lightscribe DVD-R/RW, NVidia graphics, Vista
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information