Increase font size
Topic Title: "Barton" 2600 problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/10/2005 08:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/10/2005 08:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
babytux
Lurker

I had posted here a while ago regarding one system and a problem I had been having with it (it turned out that my processor was the problem, afterall, unfortunately) and now need help again with another system.

I have a "Barton" 2600 processor (which was purchased retail and came with a heatsink) installed to an EPOX EP-8K5A2 motherboard which has been underclocking. For a long while, it was working at the speed it was supposed to and was being recognized as a 2600, however, it somehow started to appear as a 2000 (and had run at the slower speed) after I installed a new hard drive into that system. I had tried upgrading the PSU to a higher wattage (450) as well as flashing to the latest version of the BIOS and continued to have that problem. I had also tried to reinstall all the hardware in that system (including that processor and the heatsink). The problem went away for quite some time, however, I don't know what caused it to go back to the speed and type that it's supposed to be.

Earlier this week, though, (and I have not added anything new to that system), it intially began to appear as a 1500 and ran much slower and is now back to running as a 2000 and has been that way for the past week or so.

The motherboard and processor had, up until the first underclocking incident, been working properly without incident for a few months, so I don't understand why it started to underclock in the first place or why it's suddenly started to underclock again.
 03/10/2005 09:28 PM

Author Icon
Stone_age
Alpha Geek

Certain boards, when you change things, will default to a lower fsb. When you flashed the bios, it automaticaly goes back to the default of 100 fsb. it needs to be changed back to 166 in the bios.

-------------------------
Phenom II X6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Phenom II X4 945, Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
Zacate E-350, MSI E350IS -E45

http://classicplatforms.com
 03/11/2005 06:47 PM

Author Icon
babytux
Lurker

I had checked my BIOS settings after I flashed to the newer version and had reset them to the settings they were supposed to be on. The first time this problem surfaced, the BIOS settings were the first thing I checked and were set accordingly. This time around, they were also among the first things I had looked into.
 03/13/2005 04:06 AM

Author Icon
babytux
Lurker

Updated to add that right before this problem started, my battery backup began to act up a bit (that issue has since been resolved). Could that have somehow contributed to my current problem? I'm still not sure how or why it underclocked the first time, though, or why it went back to its normal speed for a while only to have it happen again.

If someone has any suggestions as to what to try out in resolving the situation, I'd appreciate it. Also, I'd like to say thank you to Stone age for responding to my initial post in this thread.
 03/13/2005 07:41 AM

Author Icon
AMD808

Let me see if I am understanding your problem, first of all.

Problem : Computer will not keep bios settings, and or speed settings?

Solution : Checked the jumper settings on your motherboard? It is possible that your motherboard's coin-cell battery is dying, and it is not able to hold a charge to power the CMOS ROM Chip, until the power is turned back on.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/13/2005 02:39 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Coin cell dies fast, look at the +5VSB line on your power supply...also physically inspect the power section on the mainboard...trouble could be brewing there...

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

03/16/2005 06:08 PM

Author Icon
babytux
Lurker

Thank you both for responding. I do appreciate it.

However, I don't believe this is related to the BIOS (which is currently the latest one available for the motherboard) as the settings are sticking and appear to be correct and they were among the first things I checked when the problem resurfaced. The first time I had this problem, I had upgraded the BIOS to the newer version to see if it would help resolve the problem and did go in and change the settings regarding the bus speed. However, it didn't have any real effect on resolving the underclocking problem. I will recheck them, though, just to make certain.

The jumper settings are also set properly and were among the things I double-checked when I took the system apart the last time I had this problem.

Also, the PSU is "clean" and has been looked into as well. However, I'll try and have another look into it.

With regards to the motherboard, I plan on taking the system apart again sometime soon and will look into whether there are any problems with it.

Thanks again and I try out or look into some of the things suggested.
 03/16/2005 07:42 PM

Author Icon
PGboy

I don't understand. Is your BIOS acting confused ( inconsistantly changing things, resetting, etc), or combative ( won't accept your changes, refuses to ID correctly, consitantly changes specific things ).

For example, when you changed the HD did you unplug the computer in the process. When you finished installing the HD and booted into the BIOS to check everything, had the BIOS changed any settings? If the BIOS's battery backup was giong bad your BIOS would loose it's memory get confused and reset to default upon powerup. Does unpulging the computer do this - you mentioned a ups problem?

Or, does the BIOS refuse to accept any changes you make. Then for no reason accept them before changing again after a few weeks? What does it set things to under "load default" settings in the BIOS?

Ask yourself, what would change the BIOS. - by intent ( you, a program?,etc ) or by fault ( change CPU, ID error, instability, etc). Eliminate the ovious ( you , change CPU, etc) and concentrate on isolating and eliminating the rest. Good luck!

Perhaps, however if things just started changing mysteriously, you might check to see if you have any gremlins - err teenagers in your home. Teenagers just love to do these kind of things to parrents/adults/siblings/friends/neighbors & pretty much everyone.

Hope this helps.
 03/17/2005 08:11 PM

Author Icon
babytux
Lurker

Sorry about the confusion. My BIOS doesn't appear to be a culprit in the underclocking problem. The settings are and have remained as they should be. The only time they were not was when I flashed to the newest version of the BIOS Which was available for the motherboard--at which time, I changed them to how they should have been. They have remained constant since then and did accept the changes.

With regards to the secondary hard drive and the time it was installed, the system was unplugged at the time and when I did check the settings in the BIOS, there was nothing amiss with the settings (and they were among the first things I looked into when I first noticed it wasn't showing up as the correct processor or speed). I flashed the BIOS to the newest version to see if maybe it would help fix the problem. It didn't. Since I only had (at that time) a 350 watt PSU, I tried to upgrade it to a 450-watt PSU and have also tried taking the system apart and put it back together. Somehow, something in the process caused it to go back to running at the "normal" speed and it was being recognized as a 2600 again. I'm not sure what it was or why it went back. This was in late October/early November that it stopped underclocking and went back to being what it should have been.

However, last week, my ups briefly beeped. I don't know why as there literally wasn't anything turned on at the time it happened and it only lasted for a second or two at most. However, when I turned one of the monitors hooked up to the system on, it wouldn't turn on. I shut it off and then tried to turn the computer on. I initially couldn't get it to turn on. I tried resetting the switch in the back and was somehow able to get the computer to turn on and when I noticed the underclocking problem had resurfaced. I went into the BIOS and the settings were set to how they should have been set.

I honestly don't know why it started underclocking either the last time or this time. I've gone through everything I can think of and tried ruling things out. There's nothing installed on the system which could potentially interfere with the BIOS and no one who uses the system (all adults) has any real reason to mess with the hardware or any of the settings--if anything, underclocking it is more of a detriment to them. Unfortunately, this is the only "Barton" in the house. The rest of the AMD processors (largely Athlon XPs) are mostly either using a FSB of 266 or 200.
 03/19/2005 02:30 PM

Author Icon
Quentin

This should be boiled down to the basics and simple math.

Unplug your complications - hard drives, UPS (if it's weird), etc. Why not get lean and mean with just the motherboard, CPU&CPU heat sink/fan, video card, etc. Make sure that CPU fan is spinning!

Watch your opening screen during POST (power on self test) and see what your 2600+ is reported as by the BIOS. Of course it's something like AMD Athlon XP 2600+ or should be something like that.

If it shows up as something else during POST, your Front Side Bus or CPU multiplier is set wrong. You may have to set a jumper on the motherboard to get your FSB to 166MHz (it may be identified as 333 instead but actually is 166MHz). If the FSB is 133/266 your processor will run slow.

You multiplier should be 11.5 and may be locked at that - just depends on how old your XP2600+ is and how flexible your motherboard is.

By default, a Barton XP 2600+ runs at 11.5x166 or 1.9GHz. If the FSB actually is 133, it runs 11.5x133 or 1.53GHz (which would be getting down to the XP2000+ Power Rating). Of course if the multiplier is low the overall speed and PR will be lower, too.

Get to the right FSB and multiplier and the math forces your processor to become an XP2600+! It's as simple as that - forget the extranneous stuff. (Sure they can be problems but not this.)

And gee whiz, spend a couple of bucks to replace that CMOS backup battery! Good luck...

K8N Neo2, Opteron 180, 2GB G.SKILL PC3200, 9600XT, Cooler Master CM 690/RP-600-PCAR
GA-K8NS Ultra-939, Opteron 175, 1GB PNY Verto PC3500, 9600XT, CM Centurion 5/RS-450-ACLY
A7N8X-E Deluxe, XP-M 2600+ @218x11, 1GB KVR PC3200, 9550, Lian Li midtower/RS-450-ACLY
AN7, XP-M 2800+ @218x11, 1GB HyperX, AIW 9600XT, Antec Super LB/TPII Blue 480
http://classicplatforms.com Keeping "Old Tech" new.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information