Increase font size
Topic Title: Dead Cpu?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/01/2005 03:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/01/2005 03:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tclark1960

I think my cpu went bad. One day it wouldnt come on..I have looked and searched and checked everything and cant figure it out..(I aint real smart)..
I have no bios..no beeps...no post..no nothin..I have reformatted my HD on another computer ,tried a boot disk..cd boot..nothing..The HD spins up and it makes a few bumps like,but the monitor shows no action.The lights on the keyboard dont light up. I looked real close at the mobo,but it looks good(that dont mean nothin),but I have no way to check the cpu on another computer...just hate to chase this all over and end up owning a 4 year old computer for a todays price...I sure would appreciate any and all replies..
Thanks
 02/01/2005 03:09 PM

Author Icon
AMD808

Well, the symptoms you describe sounds like either a dead CPU, or dead board; however, is there heavy dust buildup within the computer?

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/01/2005 03:35 PM

Author Icon
tclark1960

No,It didnt have a lot of dust ..It had some,but not near as I have seen elsewhere.I dont know if maybe my best bet would be to get a mobo and cpu combo.But if nthe mobo is good,I would like to use it so I can use all the restore stuff from HP. I had narrowed it down to the cpu or mobo...but hate to buy both.
Thanks
 02/01/2005 04:49 PM

Author Icon
batraxos

Try powering up your Comp without your Graphics Card on(pull all the IDE cables from your mobo first)...Do you hear any Beeps?
Try the same with your Graphics Card, but without any RAM on your motherboard...
Are there any beeps that way?
If you get no beeps that way. try taking out everything from your mobo...and put it back in...(dont forget to put thermal paste on your CPU)
Try with only the important pieces... CPU.Graphics Card... Ram and Keyboard.
Its good to make sure everything is working ok before changing either CPU or mobo

[Signature over size limits. Please see forum guidelines.]
 02/01/2005 07:44 PM

Author Icon
tclark1960

Thanks again for the info...unfortunatley I have done all those things,except without the cpu. Can I do that? I figured that for sure it wouldnt do anything.I will try that and see what happens. also,did you mean ALL the ide cables? The HD too?
Thanks..
Dont give up me yet..
 02/01/2005 08:11 PM

Author Icon
thuglife

try reseating rams.
 02/01/2005 09:06 PM

Author Icon
tclark1960

took out ram...reseated 3 or 4 times...
Question about the paste...Mine was hard and dried up...does that mean it was running hot? I dont have any of that stuff...I had seen some on other computers that was still soft a gooky.
Thanks for the help...I havent fixed it yet though!
 02/01/2005 10:14 PM

Author Icon
AMD808

QUOTE (tclark1960 @ Feb 1 2005, 04:06 PM) took out ram...reseated 3 or 4 times...
Question about the paste...Mine was hard and dried up...does that mean it was running hot? I dont have any of that stuff...I had seen some on other computers that was still soft a gooky.
Thanks for the help...I havent fixed it yet though!
It would be a good idea to replace the paste if it was hard or crumbly... However, if the CPU is dead, that's it. No screen, beeps etc pretty much indicate the unexpected...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/01/2005 10:38 PM

Author Icon
thuglife

you dident answer what your computer does if you remove anything bu the processor , any beeps or something ? also, do you have the (onboard or case )speaker installed ?
 02/02/2005 07:05 AM

Author Icon
tclark1960

I am not at the computer,its at home and I'm at work,,I will try booting with nothing in it. It is a trigem board with built in video and sound.The only card it had is a modem,and I have tried to boot without it.
Thanks
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information