Increase font size
Topic Title: Swapping My old Athlon for Newer XP
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/10/2005 12:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/10/2005 12:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kevin520

The computer I currently have, which i built and runs very stable, runs currently on an AMD Athlon 1333 processor. At the time when i purchased it, I was on a shoestring budget, so i went cheap on the processor, but planned for the future by buying a motherboard that would support the already available xp 333 FSB.
I now need a little more power and would like to swap out the processor for the faster XP processor, I will upgrade the max that my motherboard chipset will accept. I have never swaped out just the proccessor on my PC, i generally swap out the motherboard/cpu, and then i find it creates a whole lot of problems.. I generally start from scratch and install the OS, etc etc...

So the root question is, Is swapping out my CPU for another just like popping in another memory chip, or is it going to cause all kinds of conflicts that are going to frustrate me from now until i through the computer out the window?
If so, i'd rather keep the computer on the slow side, until i'm in the market for a whole new system.. This one just runs too good to go and screw it up..

(It's never frozen/crashed in the 2 years since i built it.!

Let me know your thoughts. thanks a bunch

02/10/2005 12:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMD808

Installing a CPU should be like installing a new RAM chip. Just make sure your BIOS will support it, and your good to go.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information