Increase font size
Topic Title: Yet another Athlon XP 3200+ heat issue thread
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/17/2005 11:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/17/2005 11:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Coyote Seven

I purchased an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (OEM version) from NewEgg.com. I also got a Thermaltake Slim Volcano 10+ heatsink/fan to go with it.

I put it in my brand new Gigabyte 7vt600rz motherboard, inside a brand new Raidmax case, along with some DDR400 RAM, etc...

Right now in my zipcode, with a projected high of 81c and a low of 8c, it is currently 18c outside, according to Weather Underground.

At the moment, MBM 5 reports the CPU in my computer (right next to the open window) to be at 51c, and the case temp to be 32c. Earlier this afternoon, the CPU was sitting idle at 55c, with a case temp of 35c.

I think that is a bit high!

I've seen it go as low as 45c CPU and 25c case, though on very cold days (when I have my window open), it's gotten a bit lower. But typically it hovers around 47c for the CPU and 27c for the case.

I've tried managing the wires to decrease turbulence inside the case. The exhaust fan behind the CPU rotates at 4800rpm, same as the fan on the heatsink itself. Four larger fans are up front, pulling air in while spinning at 2800rpm, ditto for another intake fan on the side panel. It didn't really make a marked improvement in heat dissipation.

I'm thinking I might have to go for a water cooling setup, for the Athlon as well as my GeForce FX 5700 video card. ;P
 01/17/2005 11:24 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

81*C outside...where do you live...you're 19*C away from boiling water...and dieing...

???

Do you mean 81*F?

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/17/2005 11:28 PM

Author Icon
Coyote Seven

QUOTE (MD Willington @ Jan 17 2005, 08:24 PM) 81*C outside...where do you live...you're 19*C away from boiling water...and dieing...

???

Do you mean 81*F?

MD
Whoops, yes. That was a mistake. ;P

That should be 81 F, or 27c of course.

Otherwise I'd have more problems than an hot CPU!

01/18/2005 12:17 AM

Author Icon
AMD808

QUOTE (Coyote Seven @ Jan 17 2005, 06:00 PM) At the moment, MBM 5 reports the CPU in my computer (right next to the open window) to be at 51c, and the case temp to be 32c. Earlier this afternoon, the CPU was sitting idle at 55c, with a case temp of 35c.
Temps are fine.

If you want better cooling to go along with your heatsink, I suggest some Arctic Silver 5, or Arctic Ceramique. Water cooling really will not be necessary.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/18/2005 11:36 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Thats better LOL..

Any way here's a checklist I use for temperature issues.

Temperature related.

Check the following for overheating or perceived overheating:

- Is the heatsink correctly installed ?
--> Verify it is correctly installed.

- Is the heatsink filled with dust and crud ?
--> Clean with compressed air in a can.

- Is the heatsink fan operating ?
--> Replace defective fan with similar or better unit.

- Is the heatsink adequate for that application/CPU ?
--> Verify it meet the requirements for the CPU being used.
--> RETAIL heatsink? May require lapping and better TIM.

- Is thermal interface material used between heatsink and cpu ?
--> Verify it is used, and is applied according to the manufacturers guidelines.
--> Recommended PCM's, thermal pads from "AMD Thermal, Mechanical,and Chassis Cooling Design Guide #23794.PDF.
- Bergquist HF225UT Phase Change
- Chomerics T725 Phase Change
- Honeywell PCM45 Phase Change
- Power Devices Powerfilm Phase Change
- ShinEtsu PCS-TC-11T-13 Phase Change
- Thermagon T-pcm905C Phase Change
--> Recommended thermal interface material aka: grease, gel etc.
- Arctic Ceramique.
- Arctic Alumina.
- Arctic Silver, 3, 5 etc.

- Is the TIM pad cover removed from heatsink before installation, if using supplied TIM pad ?
--> Remove the cover before installation, failure to do so will insulate the cpu from the heatsink.

- Is there adequate airflow or case ventialation ?
--> Verify airflow, add case fans if required.

- Is the Vcore set higher than specified by the manufacturer ?
--> Verify the Vcore is set to the manufacturers specification in the mainboards bios.

- Is the temperature read via the internal temperature diode. Is the tremperature read via the socket thermistor ?
--> Temperatures read at the diode can and will be higher than an external reading.

- Is the temperature sensor properly calibrated ?
--> Several boards have this problem, check manufacturers bios revision history for calibration fix.
--> Does the heatsink feel warm or HOT, if it's warm it could be a miscalibration error.

- Outside temperature high ?
--> If the external temperature is high, then the case fans will be drawing in hot air, especially during summer months. Remeber, when it's Winter in the Northern Hemi-sphere, it's Summer in the Southern Hemi-sphere & vice-versa.

MD

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/18/2005 08:37 PM

Author Icon
JID

THAT'S RIGHT DUDES! Try using artic silver 5, that's what i'm using! I have an athlon xp 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ and I lived in the philippines where room temperatures are as high as 28-30 and guess what...my idle temp is only at 37c. my highest temp is 50c and that's while playing nfsu2, i'm also just using a thermaltake tr2-m2 and all that at only 3000rpm! Does your PSU have two intakes, wherein one is situated just above the processor? That will really help.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton overclocked to 3200+ (2.2Ghz with 1.68VCore)
Motherboard: Micro Star International K7N2 Delta2 - Platinum Edition
Memory Modules: 2x256Mb GeIL Value DDR PC3200 (CL=2.5-6-3-3)
Processor Fan: Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 with Artic Silver 5
Video Card: Inno3D FX5200 128Mb - 128Bit
<span sty
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information