Increase font size
Topic Title: CPU operating temp
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/23/2005 12:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/23/2005 12:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ZX6RR

Hey all, usually, my athlon xp 2400+ while idling was at 33.5 celcius. This info was given to me via a temp sensor and coolermaster fan control/temp display. Recently, my temps have shot up a little bit. Now during idle I'm at 40-42 celcius. What is the normal idling temperature for this CPU? I am fully aware that 42 degrees is nothing to panic over and is quite normal, but I'm wondering why before is was much lower. I'm guessing that maybe the sensor moved inside the heatsink and is now closer to the copper and reading hotter temps.
Thanks for the help.
 01/23/2005 01:24 PM

Author Icon
Dancer

Hi,
It is unlikely that your sensor moved unless you have been jostling the heat sink. How long has it been since you've changed your thermal grease? What are your temps reading in the bios? What are your system temps? Are they rising too?
Cheers

-------------------------
Come join our Team and help find cures for the world!
AMD FORUM FOLDERS

<span st
 01/25/2005 02:22 AM

Author Icon
ZX6RR

I re-pasted my cpu the other day and still, it's running at 42. My BIOS temp reading says 47 degrees. Strange. I can't figure out for the life of me what happehed to cause this. Fresh thermal paste, good air flow, beats me.
 01/25/2005 11:04 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

QUOTE (ZX6RR @ Jan 23 2005, 09:42 AM) my athlon xp 2400+ while idling was at 33.5 celcius.

Recently, my temps have shot up a little bit. Now during idle I'm at 40-42 celcius. What is the normal idling temperature for this CPU? I am fully aware that 42 degrees is nothing to panic over
You're within range, worry when it gets over 55*C.

You can use this application to cool down the cpu on most mainboards:
http://www.stargaz0r.nm.ru/files/s2kctl15b101.zip' ">http://www.stargaz0r.nm.ru/files/s2kctl15b101.zip

I use it on my system...keeps things cool...CBID usually reports only 8 Watts at idle...that comes out as high 20's *C at idle.

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/25/2005 11:12 AM

Author Icon
grim213ca

As far as I know thermal paste (artic Silver) takes a few days to 'break in'. So do not run your computer 24/7. After a few days (allowing to cool to room temp) the compound will be fully working. Just be sure that you have removed the old thermal compound before you have applied the new. The difference could be due to a different thermal compound being used, or that it was not applied properlly. (to much or too little) But basically if you are not over heating, and you don't have cpu problems then I would not bother re-applying thermal compound.
You should not have problems with your temp, but do keep an eye on it, if it shoots up then you may need to re-apply your thermal compound

grim213ca
 01/25/2005 11:56 AM

Author Icon
action man

as always unless you are having stability issues there is really no reason to even look at your temps.. as the sig says

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information