Increase font size
Topic Title: amd 2700 - restart problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/26/2005 06:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/26/2005 06:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
baliramiraj

Hey,

Here's the problem: Last night I put my comp together and turned it on. I installed XP pro on it, and it installed without a problem. Now, when I try to install new things and then have to restart my computer for them to take effect, my computer won't restart. Well, it does, but my monitor shuts off (not off completely, but as if it were on but not connected to the video card). The computer appears to still be running, as the PSU fan lights are still on and the processor fan is still spinning. So I have to power down the computer and turn off the PSU, then turn them both back on and everything works.

So far, other than this problem, everything seems to be working fine. I got the internet up and running, and installed some utilities for the motherboard, but I can't really go any further because every time I try to install something my computer fails and thus the installation isn't complete. Also, when I try to change the fsb in BIOS, every time I hit Y on the "Save CMOS and Exit (y/n)" screen the same thing happens. Also, when I turn the computer off from the desktop, instead of just restarting it, the same thing happens: Once off, I have to turn the PSU on, then the comp on (at this point the monitor is on but nothing is showing on the screen, and the power LED is orange, not green) then the comp off, then the PSU off, then on again, then the computer once more. it's getting ridiculous, and I don't think repeatedly powering the computer down by hitting the power button is very good for my system.

If anyone can give me some info on this problem I'd be very grateful. here is my system:

amd 2700 xp
MSI NF2 K7N2 DELTA2-LSR
2x 512mb kingston ddr400
120 gb WD HD
POWMAX Demon 480W PSU (I thought this might have been the problem, but all of the rails seem up to AMD standards).

I'm not sure about the video card. I yanked it from my roomate's computer, but it's only about a year old. I know it's AGP, and some version of ATI. therefore I obviously don't have the latest drivers installed for it, but that doesn't seem like the cause of this problem (though I could be wrong).

other than the video card (and disc drive) everything is brand new, and there are no other components save for the mouse and keyboard e.g. no pci cards, extra HDs, extra disc drives.
 01/26/2005 06:14 AM

Author Icon
baliramiraj

also, I just want to make it clear that the problem really has nothing to do with installing new software, though I mentioned doing this several times - this was really just to demonstrate that I had to repeatedly restart the computer and every time the monitor would have the same problem, and thus this is a problem I need to find a solution for very fast.
 01/26/2005 06:21 AM

Author Icon
Stone_age
Alpha Geek

Being that you have to reset the PSU, it could very well be a PSU problem. Did you purchase the D-link bracket with the board? If so, where does it stop when it doesn't post? (turn monitor on)

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42718' ">http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42718

-------------------------
Phenom II X6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Phenom II X4 945, Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
Zacate E-350, MSI E350IS -E45

http://classicplatforms.com
 01/26/2005 02:34 PM

Author Icon
baliramiraj

I'm sorry, I honestly have no idea what the d link bracket is. if you could give me more information about that I could let you know.

thanks
 01/26/2005 03:17 PM

Author Icon
batraxos

The Bracket that comes with your Motherboard that has a USB2 Module on it...and 4 leds.
Read your motherboards manual to understand what we're talking about.

-------------------------
[Signature over size limits. Please see forum guidelines.]
 01/26/2005 03:45 PM

Author Icon
baliramiraj

sorry, that's what I thought stone age meant, but it was just called the d bracket where I got it from. I didn't get that bracket with the board.

also, I just put in an antec 430w truepower PSU, and the same thing is happening.

if there are any more suggestions as to what I should do, please share. thanks
 01/26/2005 05:01 PM

Author Icon
baliramiraj

okay, I tried a few more things to no avail:

I replaced the unknown video card with a 128mb radeon 9800, and this time it was recognized as such and appropriately installed. also, I put the ram from my old computer into this new one and the same problem occurred. moreover, I put my new ram into my old computer and that computer worked perfectly (POSTing, etc).

therefore, it would appear that none of these are the problem (though again, I could be wrong). I called MSI and after trying a few things (including updating the BIOS) they recommended I replace the motherboard.

if anyone has any suggestions for fixing this problem other than returning the mobo, I'd love to hear them. thanks.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information