Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD athlon XP 2400+ Heating problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/09/2006 05:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/09/2006 05:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ZOOMAR

Hey everyone, first time poster, longtime noob at comps .

Lately, my comp has had aggravating heating problems. Started at the beginning of this summer, ever since I added a second 120GB hard drive.

The problem is that it will suddenly shut off without notice. Once restarted, everything is fine, no disc errors or loss of data so I'm sure its not a virus. However, the system won't run for another 2-5 minutes without turning off again. I'm lucky I can type this out. Usually I have to leave it off for at least an hour to get 30 minutes running time, and leave it off overnight to get 5 hrs out of it. The usual cpu temp after restarting is 147 degrees farenheit (around 60 celsius), but it sometimes shuts off with low temps as well (around 46 celsius, once it even shut off at 25)

I've already opened the case for better airflow and got a giant fan blowing into it. This will usually make it last longer, but it doesn't fix the problem.

I've downloaded Speedfan and recorded idle temps , which is around 44 - 51 celsius ( with fan blowing into it, which is now somewhat necessary to keep it on, without the fan the temp will continue to rise until it just shuts off)

One of the fans on the power supply strangely stopped working, even after cleaning the dust out. I'm not sure what to do with it, or if I should replace it. (80mm)

Just a guess, but I think it may have to do with the power supply failing, since everything else seems to be working fine. I would prefer not to replace it if I can, I have no monies.

Please please please help, and thank you so pooping much for doing so. I can't watch my pron in peace :C

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ ( 2.00 ghz)
1gb ram
Two 120GB Hard Drives

and thats all I know off the top of my head
 07/10/2006 02:44 AM

Author Icon
Stone_age
Alpha Geek

Sounds more to me like you have a weak power supply. You added an extra drive, it uses more power, the PSU overheats because its overloaded, and the overload protection shuts it off.

-------------------------
Phenom II X6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Phenom II X4 945, Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
Zacate E-350, MSI E350IS -E45

http://classicplatforms.com
 07/10/2006 11:30 PM

Author Icon
ZOOMAR

thanks I'll try to get another one, but I was wondering if it was normal to have 60 degrees celsius cpu temperature when the comp is idle?
 08/03/2006 09:47 PM

Author Icon
Nick83

quote:

Originally posted by: ZOOMAR
thanks I'll try to get another one, but I was wondering if it was normal to have 60 degrees celsius cpu temperature when the comp is idle?

It's definitely not normal but the 2400+ does have a max. heat specification of 85C.
My 2400+ is at 46-49C typically. I use a Thermaltake Silent Boost.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information