Increase font size
Topic Title: Removing AMD Heat Sink/Fan for CPU replacement
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/15/2008 02:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/15/2008 02:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tomstrong

Hello,

In a computer I have built, I am going to replace my Sempron 64 processor with a dual core Athlon x2. As best I can tell, I must first remove the heat sink/fan assembly of the installed processor in order to access the processor latch.

Since the installed AMD heat sink uses an adhesive thermal compound, how difficult will it be to remove the heat sink? Will it require enough force to potentially damage the mother board? What is the best way to remove the heat sink safely?

Tom Weeks
 09/15/2008 03:10 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Before removing HSF, turn on computer, let it run for a while(15min.?) under heavy load. The heat should soften the compound. After turning off and disconnecting mains, release the HSF lever, release the clips. Try to wiggle the HSF sideways, there is sometimes a very small gap, enough to let it move tiny bit. Do not pull straight up until you feel its loose from the CPU.

-------------------------
 09/18/2008 10:29 PM

Author Icon
tomstrong

Hello go_for,

I followed your instructions and the heat sink/fan came loose at the first wiggle. The whole CPU replacement took an amazingly short 8 minutes. After I did the replacement I discovered an AMD video on You Tube showing the procedure. Your description was as good as the video.

Thanks for the help.

Tom Weeks
 01/09/2009 10:55 AM

Author Icon
JimT2376

How can I clean the old adhesive thermal compound off of cpu and heat sink?
 01/09/2009 11:34 AM

Author Icon
tomstrong

~~~~~~~~How can I clean the old adhesive thermal compound off of cpu and heat sink? ~~~~~~~~~

Scrape what you can with a credit card, then use isopropyl alcohol and a soft rag to wipe the remainder off.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information