AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Need help for AMD Sempron 140 memory settings (conservative)
Topic Summary: Dram freqeuency for AMD Sempron 140 running DDR3
Created On: 03/24/2011 03:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by raylopez, on Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:25 PM

Answer:
nice forum; fast responses, and this cheap AMD chip with a feature size of 45 nm is about 50% faster than the 120 nm Pentium IV chip I have on another machine... so if this memory problem does not reappear I'm a happy camper. Thread closed.
 03/24/2011 03:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
raylopez
Lurker

I recently got an old PC that has a AMD Sempron 140 chip. I upgraded the memory to DDR3 (just more of the same as what was in the original) but now the system is unstable. I don't think it's a virus, so it's the memory settings.

What is a conservative BIOS setting for this chip to deal with DDR3 memory, I think the memory is 1066 MHz Unganged Mode (2x 2GB sticks) but I have a feeling I need to half that to 535 MHz. I have an American MegaTrends Bios from around 2009/2010.

Sorry for being so vague; I can get more info if anybody responds to this. Just some conservative memory settings would be appreciated. it's set to "Auto" now but the system is unstable (reboots at odd times).

PS--I did run MemTest86 for a long time and it reports no errors in the new memory... but not sure if MemTest86 runs memory slower than the bios or what.
 03/24/2011 03:39 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Are the two sticks identical in brand and specification?
Post screenshots of CPU-Z.
Compare what CPU-Z says for your memory settings when using each of the two stick alone, do they differ?

Test also with the new stick alone, does it still appear being stable?
Try also with setting the RAM frequency manually to 800MHz DDR3, in BIOS.

-------------------------
 03/24/2011 04:29 PM

Author Icon
raylopez
Lurker

Thanks man! That was quick. I had originally calendared to check this thread in a week's time. The reason I'm back: to report that what I did was simply reseat the sticks, and that seemed to "solve" the problem, for now.

But you may be onto something with the two sticks. You see, I bought from a seedy merchant what seemed to be the same sticks (he tells me) but I notice the serial numbers and even the form factors are off (one is a "half height" stick that has the second top hole kind of cut off).

So I'll check CPU-Z for each stick and repost here.
 03/24/2011 05:14 PM

Author Icon
raylopez
Lurker

Here are the screenshots, and as you can see the two sticks are identical. So it seems that 'reseating' the chips 'solved' the problem; perhaps they were loosely connected. But it's strange that MemTest86 did not detect any problem despite running it for nearly one day.

Well, I cannot seem to attach a screenshot to this post, but you'll have to believe me that the sticks were identical. The only field different in CPU-Z was "Channels #" which was "Dual" with both sticks in, and "Single" with each stick in separately. The DRAM Frequency was 535.8, the FSBRAM was 3:8, the CAS# Latency (CL) was 7.0 clocks; the RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) was 7 clocks, the RAS# Precharge (tRP) was 7 clocks, the Cycle Time (tRAS) was 20 clocks, the Bank Cycle Time (tRC) was 27 clocks, and the COmmand Rate (CR) was 1T. This was with the BIOS set to "AUTO" and Unganged (the default) for the Bios.

Other settings:
Advanced Chipset Setup:
Dram Frequency: AUTO
Dram Timing: AUTO
DCT Unganged Mode: AUTO
Share Memory Auto Detection: AUTO

I guess the lesson of this thread is that an improperly seated memory stick can pass all memory tests like the excellent Memtest86 test and yet still fail in practice--if indeed this problem was the result of an improperly seated memory stick.
 03/24/2011 05:25 PM

Author Icon
raylopez
Lurker

Answer Answer
nice forum; fast responses, and this cheap AMD chip with a feature size of 45 nm is about 50% faster than the 120 nm Pentium IV chip I have on another machine... so if this memory problem does not reappear I'm a happy camper. Thread closed.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information