AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron Fan or better one when overclock S2400+?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/28/2004 02:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/28/2004 02:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
yanli

Could Sempron 2400+ overclock to 2.0Ghz when setting FSB 166 to 200?

10x * 166 = 1666Mhz
10x * 200 = 2000Mhz (Found in other forum website but not assure if it could work)

Will Sempron remain stable when using Sempron Fan?
It would be nice to know if anyone could safetly further overclock beyond 2.0Ghz by increase voltage in some components found in Abit KV7 mainboard while still using Sempron Fan?
 09/30/2004 11:01 PM

Author Icon
Deirius

The views shared by this post are my views only, and in no way, shape, or form are an encouragement, directive, or support for the suggestions made in my post.

While I share your love for the power of overclocking, taking your processor that far is dangerous for ANY air-cooled system. I would not suggest taking your processor on any overclocking trip with the retail fan provided by AMD. The better alternative would be to find the best performing heatsink/fan combo (my preference is a volcano 12 and arctic silver 5).

If you choose to use air cooling, do not attempt to take the processor over 10% gain in FSB. While some people have been able to do so successfully, I have heard more situations of smoking in a non-smoking section... (even did it once myself... poor 1600+, may she rest in peace) :-D

Jonathan
3rd coast pc
 10/01/2004 08:05 AM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

Deirus -- usually that is the case with overclocking, but the Sempron 2400+ is basically sold underclocked when compared with what it is physically capable of. Clock-speed ratings are based on market constraints rather than technical contstraints whenever possible. It is the same with the 1.6GHz Duron - it typically is able to run above 2GHz.

Running an Athlon Palomino 1.66GHz chip at 2GHz would be suicide, but these Semprons are much newer chips. If I had one, I'd be happy to try running at chip at 2GHz.

Vanli: the supplied fan would probably be good enough, the main issue with cooling is making sure the heatsink has a good physical connection to the CPU. Silver thermal grease is good, thermal pads are bad.
You need to make sure your ram is able to run at 200MHz.
The CPU's voltage may need to be increased to 1.65v to assure stability.

Of course there is always at least a theoretical risk with overclocking, so do so at your own risk... but I can say this is one I'd take myself.
 10/16/2004 09:28 PM

Author Icon
thalamus

The 2400+ OC's to 2.0Ghz with no problems at all. I'm running a Sempron 2400, on an Abit AN7 mobo, with 768MB DDR400 RAM (200/400FSB, 10x multiplier, 1:1 DRAM ratio, 1.68 vcore). She toddles along at 40degreesC, and warms up to 53degrees after running Prime95 torture test for 12 hours, temp barely even notices Splinter Cell. This is with the stock CPU fan. However I do have a custom case fan setup (one 80cm intake, one 80cm exhaust, both monitored by mobo) which I'm sure helps with the temperature. By the looks of it I think I can push the CPU a bit further ;o).
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information