Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Sempron 320+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/16/2004 10:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/16/2004 10:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Rayden-X

Hey everybody !

I decided to upgrade my Intel p3 800 MHZ for a SEMPRON 3200+ so I could start running things like DOOM 3 and such. I bought a ABIT motherboard with the 3200+ chip and Kingston 512 meg 400 MHZ ram.

When installed it booted up to 1.4 GHZ instead of 2.2 GHZ. I had the chip and ram installed by the techs at the computer store. It works fine @ 1 GHZ but when I finally put it at 1.4 GHZ, (Which is slower than it should be) it crashed from time to time and DOOM 3 is slower than on my Intel P3 800 MHZ. HMMMMM...

So I bring my whole system back to the store and they fiddled with it for over 2 weeks now and still have no idea what is wrong with it themselves.
They sent away for a new board saying mine was fried ( Just bought it though ) and it booted up the same. They sent for a new chip and still the same speed.

I have been reading up on the chip and some places say it should have 400 FSB but that is other people's terms. It is at 333 FSB right now and the tech at the computer store said that it should be at that. Well now, does anybody know the real story of this problem of what it could be ?

Help ! I want my computer back someday !!

11/16/2004 10:54 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Hmmm...there is no Sempron 3200+...what you have sounds like an Athlon XP 3200+.

Unless you have one of those rare OEM-only versions, a normal Athlon XP 3200+ runs at 2.2GHz with a 200MHz FSB (400MHz effectively).

Try setting your FSB (Frontsidebus, aka 'CPU External clock' to 200MHz both in BIOS and via jumper on your motherboard (refer to your manual for details).
Also, make sure your multiplier ('ratio' is set to 'auto'/'default' in BIOS - your memory frequency('DRAM clock' should be set to '100%' or 'synch' (or 200MHz/DDR400); memory timings should be set to 'by SPD' or 'auto'.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 11/16/2004 12:43 PM

Author Icon
Rayden-X

It is still in the shop and when it boots, it says SEMPRON 3200+
Weird eh? Especially if this type not exist. Makes me wonder
why they did not see this.

You may be right about the OEM thing. They did not tell me the
full specs but I wish they would have. So I guess they will never find out
what is wrong with it then

I bet it will only be another week before they figure it out. Can a
computer tech be wrong? AMD is new to me and so far I am not
impressed, not with AMD but the people who assembled it. What
should I tell them?

Thanks
 11/16/2004 02:37 PM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

Most computer "Technitians" that works at those shops know assembling a computer but don't know nothing about what they are doing, or maybe they know but lyed just to sell you more products and win more money, that is why I learned to do this by myself. A Motherboard that can boot isn't a fried Motherboard, or it is? If the Processor was installed by a technitian, then it should got the responsability to configure the Processor properly to run at the normal Frecuency, not a much lower one. Your Processor should have somewhere written on it (In a Black Sticker I think) three "Codes". These "Codes" are the Operating Part Number (OPN), Stepping and Serial Number. With the OPN (Something like AXDA3200DKV3E) you can determine the specifications of the Processor, because each letter means something. By the way, how much your payed for the Processor and the Motherboard? Maybe you can get an Athlon 64 2800+ for the same money and be much happier with it.
 11/19/2004 06:35 PM

Author Icon
Rayden-X

Hey !

Me again ! I spent $450.00 so far for the RAM, MOBO and CPU. Come to think of
it I may have been better off with the 64 bit chip, probably the same price right?

Well I guess it's too late now

How can they hire people like that ? It make the store look bad.

Thanks Again
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information