Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD XP 2400 Slow Down
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/25/2004 09:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/25/2004 09:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
trebler1

The lines above pretty much say it all. I'm running;

AMD XP 2400+
KM2M Combo mobo
512 MB Kingston DDR 2700

Every thing works fine unless I get on line. I can play all my games run, run all my progs(Movimaker, Power DVD, Paintshop Pro 8, Adobe Photoshop) or whatever and everything runs right. Just as soon as I get on line, and get back off I have to reboot or every thing runs at what appears to be half speed. I say appears to be because my info progs all say everything is okay. But I not stupid, when it takes almost 3 minutes to load a game and then the monsters all get to kill me before I can move, in obvious slow motion, something is very wrong. A simple restart puts everything back to normal....

I have spent several hours reading thru 10 pages of posts before posting this. I was hoping amongst all the other XP speed issues someone else had this same problem, no go though.

Thanks in advance
Bert
 11/25/2004 11:25 PM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

My best bet is that you have Spyware, a Virus, Worm, Troyan or something there. Press Ctrl + Alt + Supr when you connect to Internet and check in the Task Manager what Process is doing a heavy use of your Processor for no reason when you computer slows down. Other than that, everything else doesn't match the description "It works fine until I connect to Internet".
 11/26/2004 08:22 AM

Author Icon
trebler1

I begin to suspect my PSU, after all my reading last nite. I have had this same problem thru 2 mobo and 2 cpu and 3 hard drive changes. Every thing I see shows that while I am online my CPU speed drops by about half. The only thing I can see that has remained common is the "old case and PSU" I am using.

Could an old or underated PSU cause a problem like this?
 11/26/2004 11:55 PM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

A bad Power Supply can cause stabily issues if it isn't giving enought power to the parts that requieres it, so I don't think that if you Power Supply is bad your computer will run at half it speed. Did you used the same Windows installation with the two Motherboards and the two Processors?
 11/27/2004 12:04 AM

Author Icon
trebler1

Clean install of Win XP from OEM disk, although it was the same install CD.
 11/27/2004 02:45 PM

Author Icon
AMD808

I would also suspect that it is spyware/adware. Download Adaware' ">http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ and SpyBot' ">http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html. Run these and see what it comes up with.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information