Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron for new motherboard
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/19/2004 10:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/19/2004 10:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dagr

Hi,

My old Pentium system finally packed in and I plan to do a cheap, short-term upgrade of the motherboard to keep things rolling before I get a brand-new, more powerful system in about 6 months time.

I am thinking of the MSI KM3M-V motherboard fitted with a slow-ish Sempron processor (performance isn't important at the moment). My questions are:

1) Would a Sempron 2200 require a cooling fan? (I'm trying to keep costs and complexity down to a minimum)

2) What FSB speed is suitable for a 2200 processor (the fastest possible?), or is it only the RAM speed that determines that?

3) What speed rating of DDR Ram is recommended (PC2100, PC2700, etc) for a Sempron 2200 based system? (I know the faster the RAM, the faster the throughput, but it's not linear and I don't want spend extra money in going from, say, a PC2100 DDR RAM to a PC3100, if it's just to get a 1% effective increase).

4) Just out of curiosity, what theorectical speed improvement is to be expected in going from a Pentium III 500MHz, 100MHz bus to a Sempron 2200, say 333MHz bus, system (all other things being equal).

Looking forward, does AMD have a comparison chart (either theoretical or "real system") of their own processor range and against Intel's?

Many thanks.
 12/19/2004 01:46 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

1) Would a Sempron 2200 require a cooling fan? (I'm trying to keep costs and complexity down to a minimum)

yes it would.

2) What FSB speed is suitable for a 2200 processor (the fastest possible?), or is it only the RAM speed that determines that?

The XP2200+ runs at 13.5x133MHz (1800MHz)
The Sempron 2200+ runs at 9x166MHz (1500MHz)

But...a faster bus speed can improve performance...

3) What speed rating of DDR Ram is recommended (PC2100, PC2700, etc) for a Sempron 2200 based system? (I know the faster the RAM, the faster the throughput, but it's not linear and I don't want spend extra money in going from, say, a PC2100 DDR RAM to a PC3100, if it's just to get a 1% effective increase).

Semprons run with a 166MHz front side bus, so your ram has to be able to run at that same speed for synchronous operation, you'll need PC2700 aka DDR333 memory.

Pricewise, the faster ram is actually cheaper, ram is backward compatible speedwise. Sort of like your car, you can do 100KM/h on the highway but your car can still drive 30KM/h in a school zone.

QUOTE 4) Just out of curiosity, what theorectical speed improvement is to be expected in going from a Pentium III 500MHz, 100MHz bus to a Sempron 2200, say 333MHz bus, system (all other things being equal).

You should see a significant improvement in speed, the Sempron 2200+ is marketed against the newer Intel Celeron-D processor running at 2200MHz.

Due to the construction of AMD cpu's they can do more instructions per clock with a slower overall speed.

Looking forward, does AMD have a comparison chart (either theoretical or "real system") of their own processor range and against Intel's?

There are many 3rd party comaprisons available on the internet. Although most are based against gaming applications.

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

12/20/2004 07:27 AM

Author Icon
dagr

Many thanks MD. Really appreciate it.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information