Increase font size
Topic Title: Newbie stupid question: Turion vs Mobile Sempron
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/04/2005 08:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/04/2005 08:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sapiendut

I'm contemplating in buying a cheapo Compaq laptop. All the specs are absolutely identical except for the processor.

One uses Mobile Sempron 3000+ the other uses Turion ML-28.

My usage will be for:

1. MIDI programming
2. Multitrack digital audio recording (max 24 tracks, no editing, no effect, no mixdown)
3. Re-encoding DVD (y'know, say from 6 Gb DVD to 4.3 Gb)
4. NO 64 bit applications will be used

Which processor would suit me best? The Turion laptop costs 50% more than the Sempron.

Kindly advise.

Sincerely,
Sapiendut
 08/04/2005 09:21 PM

Author Icon
stealth13777

If you told us which laptops, I could give you a better opinion, but as it is, it seems the sempron will fit you best, although battery life will suffer a little. If it were me, though, I'd get the turion. I just plain don't like semprons; imo amd shouldve continued with 32 bit athlons (I have nothing at all against 64 bit semprons, theyre good budget chips, and as that laptop probably has a 64 bit enabled sempron, that probably the way you should go.) b/c they offered better performance over the 32 bit semprons (due to more cache) and couldve easily cost the same.

-------------------------
-The Desktop: Abit NF7-S V2 w/ the old AXP-M 2500+ (OC'd) and TT Volcano 12, 1 gig RAM, 37GB WD Raptor, 80Gb Hitachi, XFX NVidia GEForce FX 5700LE (OC'd), Enermax Aluminum Case and XClio 450watt psu, DL DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM (+ floppy)
SB Audigy 2 ZS
-Everyday:HP Laptop 15.4WS w/Turion64x2 TL-56, 2gig, 160gb, Lightscribe DVD-R/RW, NVidia graphics, Vista
 08/05/2005 02:28 AM

Author Icon
Megadeth

The Sempron is made to compete with a Celeron D, so really, if you can take a look at the Turion 64 and ask for a recommendation, then you can certainly afford a Turion 64. The Turion 64 Mx-28 performs the same as an Athlon 64 2800+ on the desktop. The Turion 64 should be your choice.

Secondly, if you're going to get the Turion 64, then I would look at the new Fujitsu laptop. It is a Turion 64 based notebook with amazing battery life. I read an article and it said up to 10 Hours battery life on that notebook. Only thing is, that the screen is kind of small, say 13.3" viewable. However, it is a very classy notebook.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information