AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrading Pentium III...is it worth?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/15/2005 12:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/15/2005 12:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zharyn

hi...i have some trouble with my old system and the mobo needs to be replaced in order to work again...here is my specs:
Pentium III 866 MHZ
256 MB PC133 RAM
Radeon 9200 64MB DDR

my question, is it worth for me to replace my system with Sempron 2200 socket A? this is because some of my friend told me that pentium 3 is still a good prosessor and does not required any upgrading.

For your info i do play games with my computer and will the upgrade give a noticable difference?

is Sempron 2500 socket (64 bit) has a large diffrence compared to 2200 socket A

thanks for helping me....
 08/15/2005 03:39 AM

Author Icon
AMD808

Going from a Pentium 3, to any Sempron will yield some sort of performance difference -- infact, there should be quite a noticable difference. Now, as for the type of Sempron, at this point in time, it is wise to upgrade to either Socket 754 or Socket 939 (Athlon 64 only at this time). The 64-bit Semprons will give you the ability to upgrade to a 64-bit operating system if and when you choose to.

However, with upgrading, will come other new parts: RAM, power supply, and motherboard. Also, depending on the games you play, the graphics card may be something you want to consider upgrading.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/15/2005 06:16 AM

Author Icon
=assassin=

The Sempron 64 2500+ (socket 754) will likely be quite a bit faster than a Sempron 2200+ Socket A in games, with both being a huge increase in performance over a Pentium 3 866MHz. The downside is that you'll require nearly all new parts (apart from if you decide to salvage the graphics card and get a AGP motherboard, and also you can re-use any drives as these will likely fit into a newer system with no problems) - there's a chance some Socket A motherboards may run the pc133MHz RAM you have, saving you buying RAM, but then at that speed and that amount of RAM, you could do with more anyway and something slower would cripple the performance of a faster processor. I'd go for the Sempron 64 myself (I'm planning to get the 2600+ myself /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />, and the 64-bit version after the recommendations of the guys on this forum) as they run nice and cool, and also allow you to get a PCI-express motherboard (with a newer graphics slot), so offering better future graphics upgradability - I've seen an MSI Socket 754 motherboard that has both AGP and PCI-Express slots, enabling you to make use of your current card and then allow a potentially wider variety of upgrades in the future. As said by the previous poster, with a new system, a new Power supply is needed as well, thus increasing the cost, but it is needed for stability.

Your whole choice depends of what you do - if you are happy playing older games and you are happy with the performance and image quality then you may as well stick with what you've got, but then I've never been a fan of putting money back into older systems (unless it's for things like drives and such that can be re-used in future PC's) as I always think of it as money being taken away from a future new PC.

If you have the money to, then certainly get a newer Sempron 64 2500+ system as it'll offer a lot more performance providing it's paired with a decent graphics card.

08/15/2005 11:05 AM

Author Icon
r53s

I have a 2600+ socket A, and it runs fast.
If i'd change it for a socket 754, I'd get the same (2600+)...
 08/15/2005 03:08 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

I'd say, to keep up with technology get the following if you do upgrade:

AMD Sempron 64 2800+ 1600/256/1600/754/64
DFI Infinity nf4-4x PCI-Express/SATAII/etc...
Kingston/Mushkin/Corsair/etc.. (Pick A Brand) 512MB DDR400 RAM
Case/PSU Combo (Pick A Brand)
eVGA GeForce 6600 PCI-Express --> You said you played games. This will give you a very nice jump in graphics and still be cost-effective.

You'll be able to find prices on this stuff on Newegg.com
 08/16/2005 12:14 AM

Author Icon
Zharyn

thanks guys...
well maybe i will give up my pentium and because i'm just a student so i plan to upgrade for sempron 2500+ 754 for future upgrading. Because of that i plan to get 256 MB DDR 400 and new motherboard, assuming that my other hardware can be reused again.so i would like to know what kind of motherboard that cheap and realible...i dont mind if the mobo does not have a LAN, PCI-E or any additional features but internal sound is a must /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />
 08/16/2005 01:32 AM

Author Icon
aetius

QUOTE(Zharyn @ Aug 15 2005, 10:14 PM)thanks guys...
well maybe i will give up my pentium and because i'm just a student so i plan to upgrade for sempron 2500+ 754 for future upgrading. Because of that i plan to get 256 MB DDR 400 and new motherboard, assuming that my other hardware can be reused again.so i would like to know what kind of motherboard that cheap and realible...i dont mind if the mobo does not have a LAN, PCI-E or any additional features but internal sound is a must  /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />
[right][snapback]481812[/snapback][/right]

Good choice for a quick upgrade. And most Mobo's out today have at least a LAN on them and the cheaper ones almost allways have on-board sound.

Main system,
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego 1mb L2, ASUS A8v, 2.0gb Corsair Twin-X, PNY 6800GS(T) 256mb 16/6,WD 250gb 7200/8, Sony DRU-710a,LG DVD-16x, Windows XP Pro SP2, Enermax Noisetaker 420w, DSL

Video editing system
XP 2800+ Barton , ASROCK K7VT4A+, 1.0gb Corsair XMS Cas 2, MSI FX 5900xt 128mb, Samsung 80gb 7200/2, Sony DRU-810a DVDR/RW-DL & MSi DVD 16, Audigy Platinum, Windows XP Pro SP2, Antec 300w, DSL-Lan hookup.
 08/17/2005 10:00 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

Yeah a Sempron, any Sempron would be a huge improvement over a P3. Even an improvement over some P4s.

Opie and Anthony on XM Satelite Radio!

Now also on FM stations in NYC, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Rochester, Columbus OH, Cleveland, Detroit, West Palm Beach, Dallas, Chicago, San Fran and some other cities, their pretty much nationwide now, google it.

http://www.opieandanthony.com/

The Virus is spreading..... get infected
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information