Increase font size
Topic Title: Will this work ...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/11/2005 03:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/11/2005 03:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ninian

I was wondering if anyone with experience replacing Athlon MP's with Semperon's could comment (or anyone else for that matter)

There is a machine here with a Tyan S2466N motherboard and a pair of 1.8 Athlon MP's

I'd like to upgrade it to 2800+ MP's (if I can find them) but a friend suggested I use Semperon's instead. I know the cache's are not the same, nor are the FSB's but if they will actually work what would be the fastest processors that would work on this board, and what differences/problems might I see if I do this?

Any help would be appreciated.
 03/12/2005 06:02 AM

Author Icon
AMD808

They should work - given the bridge configuration of the Sempron.

However, they would be underclocked to a 266 MHz FSB, which wouldn't be much of an upgrade as to what you are currently using. If you live in the U.S., Newegg has the 2800+ MP's for $205

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/12/2005 01:05 PM

Author Icon
Ninian

Thanks for the information. I had reluctantly come to that conclusion later in the day after further research.

As to newegg, unfortuantely I'm in Canada and they not only won't shipp out of the US, they won't take an international order for delivery within the US, so I can't even get a a friend of mine to remail them.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information