Increase font size
Topic Title: nid help on overclocking my athlon sempreon 2800+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/16/2006 05:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/16/2006 05:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
khoycute

i just purchased a sempron 2800+ and i want to overclock it to 2ghz at most, i'll probably buy a better heatsink and fan someday next week coz one of my friends told me if i would o/c my sempron, i have to have at least a high speed cpu fan and a good heatsink. here are my specs

AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.6ghz
ASRock K8 NForce3
Inno3D GeForce fx5500
512 DDR pc3200
40 gb seagate hd

and i want to ask also if i can overclock my video card speed coz my mobo has an o/c feature for video cards

i already downloaded cpu-z and this is the info shown on cpu-z

CPU:
name: AMD Sempron 2800+
code name: palermo
brand id: 38
package: socket 754
technology: 90nm
voltage: 1.45v
family: F
model: C
stepping: 2
ext. family: F
ext. model: 2C
instructions: MMS(+),3DNOW!(+),SSE,SSE2,SSE3, x86-64
clocks: 1607.8mhz
multiplier: x8
htt: 201.0 mhz
L1 data: 64kb
L1 code: 64kb
L2:256 kb

MAINBOARD:
manufacturer: ASRock
model: k8upgrade-nf3
chipset: nvidia nforce3 250
southbridge: nvidia nforce3 mcp
sensor: winbond w83627HF

help anyone? thanks /mellow.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mellow:" border="0" alt="mellow.gif" />
 04/16/2006 01:35 PM

Author Icon
ricardo2kn6

Hey there, you need to up your f/s/b from 200 to 250 to get 2000mhz out of your sempron 2800+. Can you raise your v-core voltage? if so take it up to 1.55, if you put your memory devider to 166 and your HTT to 3x you should be ok,But keep your eye on your cpu temp by downloading motherboard monitor 5/ Speed Fan.

DON'T FORGET OVERCLOCKING MAY CAUSE PREMITURE COMPONENT FAILURE !!
 04/16/2006 01:50 PM

Author Icon
khoycute

ummm... there is no menu for changing the vcore voltage... the only voltage i can change is for the dram and agp, there is this feature on my board which i dont get, it says that it offers safe overclocking because of its "untied overclocking" and there is this option that when i want to change the speed of the cpu, there is an option where i can choose to change the speed of tha agp or if i change the speed of the cpu, it would change depending on the speed i specified on the bios setting... and uhh... the htt option shows only 200,400,60,800,1000mhz respectively... what should i choose? i tried different setting but after each boot the screen shows:

CMOS checksum bad

i just bought this one and i want to maximize my sempron...
the highest speed that i wanted is 2.2ghz but with my mobo, i think my sempron could go only up to 1750mhz...

i also tried using software based overclocking tools, right now im using clockgen.. is this safe? the farthest speed i got so far is 1.76ghz only, just a 176mhz higher than the default 1.6ghz...

HELP! i really wanna do this overclocking thing...

P.S. i hope you could explain it to me step by step coz im a noob when it comes to these things

thanks
 04/16/2006 03:10 PM

Author Icon
ricardo2kn6

The agp wants to be locked to the default settings, can you change your dram timings or the divider 133/266/400 ?? using clockgen isn't the best way to be going round it! it's alot safer to go through the bios! it took me three different motherboards to get the desired 2200 out of my amd sempron 2600+ and even now i have problems! i can run stable at 265x8 all day long on stock cooling cpu 28 C Mainboard 30 C. But it was the step to an A-Bit Motherboard which made it capable! My friend has a ASRock K8Upgrade VM800 with an amd sempy 2600+ like mine and runs his totally standard everything other than 250 fsb x8 = 2000Mhz,
 04/18/2006 01:01 AM

Author Icon
khoycute

ummm i got to overclock my sempron last night. i went through trial and error procedures. the reason why some people can overclock their semprons with same specs as mine is because they did not explain that overclocking must be done in increments. what i did is this:

htt speed reduced to 600mhz
memory speed reduced to 266
from 200 mhz fsb, i increased it to 210, then rebooted to test if it was stable, then from 210mhz i increased it to 220 and so on and so forth...

the farthest i got on my processor speed is 2.3ghz. from my stock 1.6ghz i went up to 2.3ghz.. that was the most stable frequency.. i tried pushing my fsb to 295 but it wasnt stable.. then i did some benchmarking and torture tests courtesy of prime95 software... it was stable enough though... my only problem is that my vcore cannot be increased... im still running on vcore 1.4v and im still using stock fan and heatsink... i'll probably buy some 7200rpm or 10000rpm fans from thermaltake.. the highest temp i got from my cpu is 46 and my mobo got up to 40-42.. i cant blame overclocking solely for the hi temp but it is summer time here in the phils and it is so freaking hot!

as of now im still observing if my unit would still be stable for at least 1 month...

for now i just wanna ask some tips on how to maintain my computer stable, and some hardware to keep my unit cool.

and i wana ask also what other board that is very good on overclocking 2800+ semprons, coz if i have saved enuf cash i would buy a better board for overclocking... although im not saying that my board isnt good but the thing is, the overclocking and flexibility of the functions of my mobo is limited, like you cant change the multipliers, you cant adjust the vcore settings.

thanks guys ^^
 04/18/2006 02:11 AM

Author Icon
ricardo2kn6

If i was to recommend any motherboard to you it would be an Asus or A-bit, it took me three attempts to buy new boards to realise that saving a few pennys wasn't the way forward, so now i am 1 A-bit NF8-V better off. You don't really want to be running your v-core at stock when your cpu is clocked past 2000 Mhz this will end up frying your sempy before you know it mate, The multiplier is locked to 8x on the semprons so no fooling around with that i'm afraid! i've seen my cpu temps nearly touching 50 C at times and this is in england so 40 - 42 isn't too bad all considered! there's all kinds of coolers you could look for buying but personally i'd go for a zalman as they are rather quiet, or even a heatpipe, totally silent (without fans).
 04/18/2006 11:37 AM

Author Icon
khoycute

uhm... i would like to ask now what voltage should be if im running on an o/c'ed sempron? or if i cant change my board for now, what other alternatives can you give me to support the lack of voltage my sepmron is getting?

thanks
 04/18/2006 09:43 PM

Author Icon
ricardo2kn6

well i'm running my sempron 2600+ with a v-core of 1.54 this was the only way i could get the O/C i have out of it! There is some really shady ways of adjusting your V-core i have read up about people soldering things into their board and allsorts but for the sake of a days wage you may aswell buy the better board! you should be ok with the v-core at stock with the fsb at 250! it's only when you take it further you need to worry about it!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information