AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Installing Sempron 3100+ (S754)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/19/2006 06:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/19/2006 06:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ziadoz

Hi,

I'm getting a Shuttle SK21G and I'm going to install a Sempron 3100+ (S754) into it. Basically how do I go about installing the CPU? It will be using the ICE heatpipe technology that comes with the Shuttle and not the usual stock fan and heatsink.

I'm pretty sure I know how to seat it. Just lift up the handle, drop it in (the right way) then lock the handle.

Do I spread thermal paste on the CPU or the heatsink? If so, how much (large square, small square?), how thick etc? (Which brands are good, bearing in mind I don't plan to overclock.)

How can I make sure before I turn on the machine I've done the job right so I don't fry it all up?

Thanks in advance for your help.
 04/20/2006 04:26 AM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

follow the instructions that come with the xpc..

-------------------------
 04/20/2006 05:07 AM

Author Icon
ziadoz

I don't have the XPC or any of the other parts yet (on order). But I've not applied thermal paste to a CPU with heat spreader before so I'm curious to know what to do. I've looked at the manual for the XPC and it doesn't really say much about how to apply the paste, thats why I thought I'd ask here.

Do I have to just apply a small blob in the centre, then mount the heatsink, or should I spread it.
 04/20/2006 01:00 PM

Author Icon
AMDCAMARO

1. on socket 754 put 1/2-3/4 of a grain of rice size blob on the center of the chip.

2.Break a old credit card or drivers license into3/8-1/2 inch size strips.

3. using the piece of credit card like a squegee, spread the thermal paste out evenly over the chip.

4. Apply a small amount of paste to the botom of your heat sink or heat pipe and work it around like a wax with a q-tip on the area where the heat pipe will contact the chip. (make sure you wipe all the excess paste of when you are done "waxing it in" all you are doing here is filling in all the major holes)

5. Apply the HS or HP to socket and latch it down per the manufatures instructions.

Watch your temps every 20 mins for the first 50 hours of operation, then it should start to drop 2-3 deg over the next 450 hours.

-------------------------

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=174103

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information