Increase font size
Topic Title: Dead motherboard?
Topic Summary: winfast motherboard no post
Created On: 03/03/2009 02:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/03/2009 02:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jave200372

I'm after some help/direction regarding a Winfast Socket 754 motherboard that I recently purchased privately. The model number is 760M02-GX-6LRS. The problem I'm having is that I can't get any action from the motherboard video wise. When I apply power everythings spins up to speed - DVD drive, hard drive and the CPU fan. But no video. Either through the onboard VGA port or through a AGP card. The motherboard doesn't even give me any "beeps" to let me know if anything is amiss. I've tried two CPUs - a Athlon 64 3200+ (ADA3200AIO4BX) and a Sempron 2600+. I've also tried different RAM setups and a different power supply. I've cleared the BIOS settings several times and have also replaced the battery. I'm now at a bit of a loss as to where to go next. Can any knowledgeable soul out there help me out?
 03/03/2009 03:43 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

4-pin ATX2 connector plugged in?
Minimum build, one stick ram, PSU, CPU, onboard vga or AGP, no drives.

Is it this board:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/...w.aspx?ID=en-us0000076

-------------------------
 03/03/2009 12:56 PM

Author Icon
jave200372

Originally posted by: go_for

4-pin ATX2 connector plugged in?

Yep, that's all be done. Even measured the output from the 4-pin 12V supply with a multimeter - all good at 12V. I've also tried no drives as well.

It is, but it isn't. My board is a Winfast make, instead of Foxconn. All the specs look the same.

Another thing I noticed is that the fanless heatsink in the middle of the board gets hot when the power is on after a few minutes. So I'm guessing that current is at least going through there. The CPU/heatsink is cold though. Which then leads me to the suspicion of a incompatible CPU. Hmmmm....
 03/03/2009 01:24 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

foxconn, winfast, leadtek, all the same design and fab. If you click the pic on the link you see its a Winfast board.

It should have no prob running a a64 3200 or Semp2600+. Any chance the BIOS is corrupted, did the seller know its state?
You could try with a reprogrammed BIOS swap.

03/04/2009 12:31 AM

Author Icon
jave200372

Originally posted by: go_for

foxconn, winfast, leadtek, all the same design and fab. If you click the pic on the link you see its a Winfast board.

Okay.

It should have no prob running a a64 3200 or Semp2600+. Any chance the BIOS is corrupted, did the seller know its state?

You could try with a reprogrammed BIOS swap.

Seller has stated to me that the board was working with a Athlon 64 when it was removed from the case.

By reprogrammed BIOS swap do you mean replacing the BIOS chip? How would I go about doing that? And more importantly, is it worth all the hassle? Would I be throwing good money after bad??? I'm mean I only paid around $55 (Australian) for the board, and I really don't want to throw too much money at it. It would be nice to get it working though.
 03/04/2009 01:16 AM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

Okay, I'm right in the middle of the same problem, so I did some research on the matter... Here's the story: Once upon a time, there was an A7N8X Deluxe motherboard... Well, i removed it from the case still working perfectly well. It stayed in its box (wrapped in anti-static plastic) for about a year. Couple of days ago I rebuilt the PC to lend it to a friend and - guess what? No video, no POST at all... Everything powers normally, but that's all. Maybe the battery died in the meanwhile, maybe something else occurred - who knows...

Anyway, your problem sounds indeed like a dead/corrupted BIOS. So, before trying the über-dangerous "hot-swap" operation, there is something else you could try. It the bootblock isn't corrupted as well, you may attempt to automatically re-flash the BIOS.
To do this, you'll need the correct BIOS version for your motherboard, a flashing utility (like awdflash.exe, for Award BIOSes), a bootable floppy (bootable CD or USBkey may do the trick too) and an autoexec.bat file. In that last one, you'll have to enter specific DOS command-line, depending on the BIOS brand (AMI or Award). Here's more on the matter, including the command-lines:

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a...-to-Flash-Your-BIOS/2/
 03/04/2009 10:12 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Update to my 1st post in this thread:
Minimum build, one stick ram, PSU, CPU, onboard vga or AGP, no drives, no case USB leads connected to motherboard, try with both a PS2/ keyboard and USB keyboard.
Is the CPU HSF the OEM with a 3 lead pin(then that should be OK). If the PSU has a dual +12V 4-pin rail, try with the other 4pin lead.

03/04/2009 02:35 PM

Author Icon
jave200372

Heffy - many thanks for your reply. But unfortunately my motherboard has a Phoenix BIOS, so it wouldn't boot up on a floppy disk.

I did however manage to find my cheapie PCI PC Analyzer card that I bought a number of years back. The code it returns doesn't mean anything (according to the instructions), but the LED for the BIOS check doesn't light up. So I'm pretty sure now that the BIOS is dead.

Anyways, I've sent off an email to a ebay seller that specializes in BIOS chip programming/replacements. And that seller has replied to me that my BIOS chip looks like flash memory. He only does eeprom's. Oh well.

Thanks also to go_for for your suggestions. I'll try alternating between PS/2 and USB keyboards. The CPU fan is a aftermarket one, but the lead has 3 pins. (Should non-OEM matter that much?) As for the power supply, I only have the single 12V 4-pin lead, plus another 4-pin lead which is a spare part of the 20/24-pin ATX connector. (The motherboard ATX connector takes only 20-pins.)

I'll post my results re the keyboards later today after work.
 03/04/2009 09:15 PM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

Err... mine's a Phoenix BIOS too and it does boot from a floppy. All my BIOSes have been Phoenix technology ones and all were (and still are) bootable from a floppy. It uses AwardBIOS flash utility to reprogram. Unless Winfast has modified something that doesn't allow doing that...

Anyway, it seems I fixed the problem tonight, at least it boots normally now... However, I'm not exactly sure whether it's the fact that I replaced the battery yesterday, that I re-installed the CPU and heatsink or that I re-flashed the BIOS in the above descried way... Because I had forgotten to switch on the monitor the first time...
Whatever it was, it seems to function normally now. So, maybe you could try the same - who knows...

Anyway, I wish you luck.
 03/05/2009 01:08 AM

Author Icon
jave200372

Originally posted by: Heffy

Err... mine's a Phoenix BIOS too and it does boot from a floppy. All my BIOSes have been Phoenix technology ones and all were (and still are) bootable from a floppy. It uses AwardBIOS flash utility to reprogram. Unless Winfast has modified something that doesn't allow doing that...

Hmm... okay. I only assumed that the Phoenix BIOS didn't support booting from floppy as the article you referred to in a earlier post said nothing about Phoenix, and my motherboard didn't want to boot up from a floppy, so I put two-and-two together...

Anyway, it seems I fixed the problem tonight, at least it boots normally now... However, I'm not exactly sure whether it's the fact that I replaced the battery yesterday, that I re-installed the CPU and heatsink or that I re-flashed the BIOS in the above descried way... Because I had forgotten to switch on the monitor the first time...

Whatever it was, it seems to function normally now. So, maybe you could try the same - who knows...

Anyway, I wish you luck.

Thanks. I think I'm going to need it...
 03/05/2009 04:30 AM

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

Well, yeah, it's kind of confusing. Actually Phoenix technologies makes the BIOSes themselves, Award produces the chips hosting the BIOS.

And, have you actually replaced the battery, by the way? Because if it's depleted, you basically have no BIOS and then, no wonder it won't POST. Also, coming to think of it, the fact that I didn't switch the monitor when I switched the PC on tonight may have something to do with it. 'Cause when I rebooted with the monitor on, that's when it POSTed normally. It also did a DMI Pool Data update.
 08/18/2009 06:38 PM

Author Icon
james20m

so if my batery died my comp wont post any more?

you know it
 08/19/2009 01:11 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Originally posted by: james20m

so if my batery died my comp wont post any more?

It should still boot, however you would need to set your bios parameters each time you started the machine up.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information