Increase font size
Topic Title: Optimizing my sempron 3300 help plz
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/19/2011 12:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/19/2011 12:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jhess56
Lurker

hi all, just wanted to know if there is anything i can do to make my computer run better. this was sparked off by trying to play dvd's from netflix on it and it has real bad skips in the video and audio.

that aside i would especially like things to run better for all the online work that i do. thanks for any advice as i hear all this stuff about overclocking,htt settings etc but dont want to mess anything up.

my specs

winxp with sp3 all updated
mobile amd sempron(tm) processor 3300+
1.99 GHz, 384 MB of RAM

I realize its kinda old and low power but if there is something i can do,or some driver i can update or something(i looked at the main site and didnt see anything)that would be great.

thanks yall
 01/19/2011 12:17 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Too less RAM, upgrade to 1 or 2GB. Is this a laptop or desktop computer? I assume it is using onboard VGA? Using a discrete VGA card would help a bit, but is not feasible if it is a laptop.

-------------------------
 01/19/2011 12:37 PM

Author Icon
jhess56
Lurker

hi thanks
yeah i do need to snag a new ram stick. im hoping a 2gigger will fit in this ole thing. yes its a laptop and re vga,,,i have not changed anything like that so it must be the factory onboard one still

any tweaks in any settings or driver updates or any of this overclocking etc i can do safely? i may just grab a whole new laptop as its so old, and im using an external monitor cuz my laptop monitor is dead hehe. kinda defeats the purpose of being a laptop
 01/19/2011 12:56 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

yes, if display is broken, then perhaps not worth to put much money on it. What brand & model is it?

01/19/2011 01:32 PM

Author Icon
jhess56
Lurker

compaq presario (v5000 i think)
whats the latest and gratest computer out there today to get.i do a lot of online research, run a ton of very resource intensive,multithreaded programs,and would love perfect ideal gameplay,on/off line and dvd play
 01/20/2011 02:10 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

"any tweaks in any settings": If you do not need/use 3D, you can reduce the shared RAM for VGA, in BIOS, to say 16-32MB, that is enough for 2D and video. Now it appears as if 128MB is reserved.

08/16/2011 04:36 AM

Author Icon
jewie27
Lurker

Originally posted by: jhess56

hi all, just wanted to know if there is anything i can do to make my computer run better. this was sparked off by trying to play dvd's from netflix on it and it has real bad skips in the video and audio.

that aside i would especially like things to run better for all the online work that i do. thanks for any advice as i hear all this stuff about overclocking,htt settings etc but dont want to mess anything up.

my specs

winxp with sp3 all updated

mobile amd sempron(tm) processor 3300+

1.99 GHz, 384 MB of RAM

I realize its kinda old and low power but if there is something i can do,or some driver i can update or something(i looked at the main site and didnt see anything)that would be great.

thanks yall

can you tell us your make and model of computer? if it's homebuilt, let us know also.
Does it already have a dedicated Graphics Card?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information