Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/29/2004 03:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/29/2004 03:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
m-tek.co.uk

We have just built 3 new systems using Aopens vKM400Am-S motherboard in an Aopen H450 microATX case with 300W PSU. We have been building systems using the Aopen MK77M-8XN m/bd and AthlonXP processors in this case for some time. However, we are having problems getting these new systems with Sempron 2500 CPU's to start. The fans run and the drives spin up but no POST, just a faint click from the speaker. Any ideas please?
 09/29/2004 04:22 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

R1.01 Supported AMD Sempron Processor.

Are you using the latest bios with these cpu's...The bios is up to revision R1.05 9/21/2004

LINK:
http://download.aopen.com.tw/D...spx?...lish&WebSite=GL' ">http://download.aopen.com.tw/D...age=English&WebSite=GL

What quality is the power supply you are using? What I mean by that is not whats written on the side like "400W" I mean what are the amperage (A) specs for each voltage on the side of the power supply for:
3.3V
+5V
+12V
+5VSB

Also what speed is the ram you are using with the Semprons, it needs to be PC2700 (DDR333) or higher.

Also did you verify the CMOS clear jumper is in the correct position, some manufacturers will ship the board with the CMOS jumper in the clear position, and the board will not operate.

Later

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

09/30/2004 06:39 AM

Author Icon
m-tek.co.uk

I would have thought that the PSU is of reasonable quality. We have been buying these Aopen cases for some time without any problems. I accept that the ratings are 12V-13A, 5V-30A and 3.3V-20A, but we have been building Athlon XP systems in these cases for a while.

We have updated the BIOS to 1.05, the CMOS jumper is ok and the ram was PC3200, now changed to PC2700.

Mike
 09/30/2004 11:02 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

QUOTE (m-tek.co.uk @ Sep 30 2004, 02:39 AM) I would have thought that the PSU is of reasonable quality. We have been buying these Aopen cases for some time without any problems. I accept that the ratings are 12V-13A, 5V-30A and 3.3V-20A, but we have been building Athlon XP systems in these cases for a while.

We have updated the BIOS to 1.05, the CMOS jumper is ok and the ram was PC3200, now changed to PC2700.

Mike
Target output ratings for 300W ATX-12V power supplies in AMD Athlon XP and AMD Duron processor-based systems.
+3.3V = 28A
+5.0V = 30A
+12.0V = 15A->18A
+5VSB = 2A->2.5A

The Socket A Sempron is really a XP Thorough-B or Thorton core cpu..BTW.

Your power supplies 12V line doesn't meet the AMD minimum spec....most generic power supplies don't.

Not to nitpick, but if I was selling or building systems for someone other than myself, I would make sure that the power supply met the minimum spec.

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information