Increase font size
Topic Title: Wrong CPU and MHZ shown for Sempron at boot up
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/08/2004 07:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/08/2004 07:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
robing

I have noticed several users having problems with their PC's recognising the new Sempron processor correctly. I had the same problem and the solution I found MIGHT be of some help.
I upgraded my MB to a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 and the Sempron 260 CPU.333Mhz At boot up the system recognised it as an XP running at 110 not a Sempron. A BIOS upgrade on the Gigabyte website noted that it was specifically for the Sempron. After downloading and flashing the Bios the same thing.
However looking at the MB manual the section on setting the FSB was very slightly confusing. It stated that one switch had a seting for auto and one for 100mhz. It also stated that a 200 CPU needed setting on 100Mhz. However I failed to notice that 100Mhz was the default setting.

When I switched this to the AUTO setting this proved the answer. Next bootup the bios correctly recognised the CPU correctly as an AMD Sempron 260.
I am not sure if other makes of MB have the same jumper switches for CLK_SW and CLK_RATIO but it might just be this will be similar. For the Gigabyte board it did at least solve this problem - so rec-check your MB manual and see if the Clock switch is set to the correct setting - it might just work for you as well!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information