Increase font size
Topic Title: Windows unstable!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/06/2005 05:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/06/2005 05:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
apransavage

I just put together a Sempron 2800+ with a Machspeed K8M8MS motherboard and have been unable to get a stable version of Windows (2k or xp) installed. I have 512mb of DDR 400 with a 40gb WD and 80gb Maxtor. Everything boots fine, recognizes everything, but Windows installs sometimes with errors and then is fairly unstable. Never been able to apply any service pack, files always "corrupt" even when they've been copied from reliable sources where they work. Processor temp looks good at 50C or below. Any ideas?

thanks
Andrew
 09/07/2005 02:12 AM

Author Icon
AMD808

QUOTE(apransavage @ Sep 6 2005, 11:42 AM)I just put together a Sempron 2800+ with a Machspeed K8M8MS motherboard and have been unable to get a stable version of Windows (2k or xp) installed. I have 512mb of DDR 400 with a 40gb WD and 80gb Maxtor. Everything boots fine, recognizes everything, but Windows installs sometimes with errors and then is fairly unstable. Never been able to apply any service pack, files always "corrupt" even when they've been copied from reliable sources where they work. Processor temp looks good at 50C or below. Any ideas?

thanks
Andrew
[right][snapback]496681[/snapback][/right]

Check your IDE or SATA cables for proper connectivity. Run Memtest86' ">http://memtest86.com to test your memory for errors. The symptoms you present are common with incompatible / faulty RAM.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 09/07/2005 09:12 AM

Author Icon
apransavage

I ran memtest and the chips passed with no errors. I've also tried various HD confirgurations, including using an HD controller, different cables and an HD that I know works, all to no avail. I keep thinking it's a motherboard or cpu issue, but is there anyway to really know? Thanks for your help...

Andrew
 09/07/2005 11:21 AM

Author Icon
xamlit

This is kind of a loaded question, but did you purchase your version of Windows?

Edit: Are you sure all of your drivers are correct and you are using the SATA disk provided?
 09/07/2005 11:34 AM

Author Icon
apransavage

QUOTE(xamlit @ Sep 7 2005, 10:21 AM)This is kind of a loaded question, but did you purchase your version of Windows?

Edit: Are you sure all of your drivers are correct and you are using the SATA disk provided?
[right][snapback]497249[/snapback][/right]

I do have a legit ver. of Win2k which is what I'm starting with via a DOS floppy install. I can get it running but have trouble installing service packs (it stops and can't find files) which I've D/Ld from my work PC. If I install XP it has even more trouble, blue screens and crashes. I've installed these same OS's from the same discs on several previous machines before this and had no troubles...

Also, I'm using IDE drives, no SATA...
 09/07/2005 04:11 PM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

It could be an issue with your Motherboard. I don't think that the Processor can be causing it if it is properly cooled. Did you check options in the BIOS? Always disable Spread Spectrum if it is enabled (It usually causes inestabilities), check Memory Modules Latencies (And raise them), check the Processor Frecuency (You can try lowering the FSB too). If you get it to work properly, try setting back to default each option and testing again.
 09/07/2005 04:21 PM

Author Icon
apransavage

QUOTE(zir_blazer @ Sep 7 2005, 03:11 PM)It could be an issue with your Motherboard. I don't think that the Processor can be causing it if it is properly cooled. Did you check options in the BIOS? Always disable Spread Spectrum if it is enabled (It usually causes inestabilities), check Memory Modules Latencies (And raise them), check the Processor Frecuency (You can try lowering the FSB too). If you get it to work properly, try setting back to default each option and testing again.
[right][snapback]497488[/snapback][/right]

There is one thing that lends me to believe this may be a motherboard issue. I've tried to update my BIOS using awdflash and the latest version but have been unable to do so. I receive "write failed" errors and when the system reboots the BIOS is still the original version. I've tried several times with several newer BIOS versions. I think I'm headed back for a replacement mobo. Of couse it couldn't be the AMD cpu! Thanks for everyone's help...
 09/08/2005 11:54 AM

Author Icon
apransavage

Just to update, I returned the motherboard for a comparable one (same VIA chipset). Problem solved. Everything working great, Windows XP up and running....!

Thanks for all your help...
Andrew
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information