Increase font size
Topic Title: help my 2600 wont boot
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/09/2005 10:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/09/2005 10:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lonewolf26

I was running a Soyo Dragon kt-400 lite with a amd 2200 processor and a via chipset. About a year ago, for just a little while, the fans in my power supply AND my heat sink quit turning and let both my processor and power supply get very hot (but not hot enough to melt anything). Last week my system finally crashed out and would power up, the fans would turn, but the system wouldn't do anything, no beeps, no video, nothing. So I figured my once over heated processor finally gave up the ghost so I ordered a Sempron 2600. I installed it today and all the system would do is power up, the fans would turn, I get a continuous beep and then it powers down. I've tried 2 different heat sinks and the same thing happened with both. I've tried it with 4 different memory sticks, and with no memory at all, same thing everytime one long continuous beep and then it shuts down. Other than the memory and processor, the system is just like it was last week when it was working, I haven't changed any settings, jumpers, etc. Is it possible that my power supply (400 watts) was big enough to run the 2200 and not the 2600? Maybe my bios needs to be flashed? Is the motherboard bad? What can it be? PLEASE help me figure this out because I'm LOST without my computer!
 09/10/2005 12:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMD808

If the fan stopped working inside the PSU, replace the PSU ASAP! That is a good indication of a failing PSU, and when a PSU goes, it can take the rest of the system with it.

After replacing the PSU (if you need recommendations, list your location), if the symptoms still continue, consider replacing the motherboard. It is possible for the PSU to have 'shorted' the motherboard - thus, DO NOT insert a processor into a shorted motherboard and attempt to boot up. That will almost guaruntee a dead CPU in return.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information