Increase font size
Topic Title: semphron 3000+ temp way too high HELP Please
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/22/2005 03:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/22/2005 03:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Domzy

i have a semphron 3000+ socket A with a gigabyte GA- 7S748 motherboard and a 400w power supply windows xp. When i first got everything it all seemed to be working fine had no problems with it for the first couple of months them abt 6 weeks ago it started to just turn off at quite random times . I believe now that this is the motherboards CPU overheat protection though im still not entirley sure. Then when i looked further into it i realized that my processor was running at 40C when i just turned it on in the bios and the fan was running at 4000+rpm all the time and the temperature just seemed to go up and up till i believe it reached aroung the 65C mark and switched off. This happened alot quicker in windows. Where now it just seems that wen i get into windows if i ask it to do somthing a little more asking e.g playing music it will turn off or if i dont it will turn off in about 20 minutes and that is with a large desktop fan placed in the case. I am using the heatsink and fan provided with a thermal pad attached though i have removed the heatsink a few times withough aplying a new pad not sure if i should. i have also looked into getting a new heatsink and fan though due to the closeness of the transistors to my proccesor the bigger sizes of fans do not fit.

All help kindly apreciated
 09/22/2005 07:05 PM

Author Icon
stealth13777

QUOTE(Domzy @ Sep 22 2005, 02:52 PM)i have a semphron 3000+ socket A with a gigabyte GA- 7S748 motherboard and a 400w power supply windows xp. When i first got everything it all seemed to be working fine had no problems with it for the first couple of months them abt 6 weeks ago it started to just turn off at quite random times . I believe now that this is the motherboards CPU overheat protection though im still not entirley sure. Then when i looked further into it i realized that my processor was running at 40C when i just turned it on in the bios and the fan was running at 4000+rpm all the time and the temperature just seemed to go up and up till i believe it reached aroung the 65C mark and switched off. This happened alot quicker in windows. Where now it just seems that wen i get into windows if i ask it to do somthing a little more asking e.g playing music it will turn off or if i dont it will turn off in about 20 minutes and that is with a large desktop fan placed in the case. I am using the heatsink and fan provided with a thermal pad attached though i have removed the heatsink a few times withough aplying a new pad not sure if i should. i have also looked into getting a new heatsink and fan though due to the closeness of the transistors to my proccesor the bigger sizes of fans do not fit.

All help kindly apreciated
[right][snapback]507819[/snapback][/right]

reapply a better thermal compound. First buy some arctic silver 5, the, after scraping the old thermal pad off with a credit card, reapply and everything should be fine. In the future always reapply thermal compound when you take the heatsink off. Also understand that sometimes when the cpu gets hot the compound can melt and slide off the cpu. Always something to check if you're overheating.

-------------------------
-The Desktop: Abit NF7-S V2 w/ the old AXP-M 2500+ (OC'd) and TT Volcano 12, 1 gig RAM, 37GB WD Raptor, 80Gb Hitachi, XFX NVidia GEForce FX 5700LE (OC'd), Enermax Aluminum Case and XClio 450watt psu, DL DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM (+ floppy)
SB Audigy 2 ZS
-Everyday:HP Laptop 15.4WS w/Turion64x2 TL-56, 2gig, 160gb, Lightscribe DVD-R/RW, NVidia graphics, Vista
 09/24/2005 07:28 AM

Author Icon
Domzy

QUOTE(stealth13777 @ Sep 22 2005, 11:05 PM)reapply a better thermal compound.  First buy some arctic silver 5, the, after scraping the old thermal pad off with a credit card, reapply and everything should be fine.  In the future always reapply thermal compound when you take the heatsink off.  Also understand that sometimes when the cpu gets hot the compound can melt and slide off the cpu.  Always something to check if you're overheating.
[right][snapback]507886[/snapback][/right]

Cheers will do /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information