Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron 2600+ freezing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/10/2005 08:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/10/2005 08:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nerfman

Ok, so I posted a problem I was having earlier, but I got a new CPU. It is a Sempron 2600+.

The problem is that my system locks up often. I will be running a program and it will just stop and freeze. It has done this when running games, downloading through Internet Explorer, streaming audio, and navigating in the Control Panel.

When this freeze happens, the next thing I do is to try to exit out of whatever program I am in. I try Alt+F4 and I try Ctrl+Alt+Del. Neither one does anything. The whole system is frozen and the only way to get back to Windows is to reset.

The strange thing is that, having reset the system, Windows fails to recognize that the system was not properly shut down (which it usually recognizes if you push the reset button while running Windows). This led me to believe that possibly my hard drive was the source. I tried two different hard drives. No solution.

I am wondering if it could be an overheating problem? My BIOS reads the CPU temp at around 118F at the highest I have seen so far. Anyone have any suggestions?
 08/28/2006 09:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nicholas_aitken

quote:

Originally posted by: nerfman
Ok, so I posted a problem I was having earlier, but I got a new CPU. It is a Sempron 2600+.

The problem is that my system locks up often. I will be running a program and it will just stop and freeze. It has done this when running games, downloading through Internet Explorer, streaming audio, and navigating in the Control Panel.

When this freeze happens, the next thing I do is to try to exit out of whatever program I am in. I try Alt+F4 and I try Ctrl+Alt+Del. Neither one does anything. The whole system is frozen and the only way to get back to Windows is to reset.

The strange thing is that, having reset the system, Windows fails to recognize that the system was not properly shut down (which it usually recognizes if you push the reset button while running Windows). This led me to believe that possibly my hard drive was the source. I tried two different hard drives. No solution.

I am wondering if it could be an overheating problem? My BIOS reads the CPU temp at around 118F at the highest I have seen so far. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have the same problem with a notebook PC with the same processor. The problem is caused at least in my case by the build up in heat from the wireless card because it does not occur with a USB wireless card. With more clearance it goes for longer. The same response form the computer as it doesn't recognise that it has been reset. Can't help you though.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information