Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron 3000+ v. XP (Barton) 3000+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/02/2005 08:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/02/2005 08:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
danp352

I want to do an CPU upgrade (now I have an XP 2000+). My motherboard (MSI KT4V) supports max. Barton 3000+ with FSB 333 or Sempron 3000+ with FSB 333.

I found a Sempron 3000+ with FSB 333, L2 Cache 512, core Barton, etc. Finaly all the specs I found are the same as a Barton 3000+ with the exception of the clockspeed (2000 MHz versus 2167 MHz for a Barton).

But as far as I know Sempron is in the Duron class (well, next generation of Duronn class) not the XP class. Is the clock speed the only difference in performance between an Barton 3000+ and this model of Sempron (167 MHz are not signifiat)? Ore are there also some other differences that lower the performance? /unsure.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='unsure.gif' />
 08/02/2005 09:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

What makes it "Duron class" is the market than Semprons are aimed to, the budget market, while the Athlons XP were aimed at the performance market. After the release of the Intel Celerons D, the Durons were just too old to compete (However, even a old 1.4 GHz Duron Applebread completely crush an expensive Celeron 2.8 GHz, but wasn't able to hold than much against Celerons D), so AMD refreshed the budget line releasing the Semprons (In Socket A, they're Athlons XP with a shining new name) than could effectively compete with the Celerons D in the budget line (With a Performance Rating Model that compares its performance to than of a Celeron D, not a Pentium 4 Northwood 533 MHz Bus like an Athlon XP, those two performs faster than a Celeron D or Socket A Sempron at the same Frecuency or Performance Rating Model respectively), leaving the Athlons 64 in the performance line. As Socket A Semprons uses Athlons XP Cores, a Sempron with the same Core with the same Cache L2 at the same Frecuency and Bus than an Athlon XP would perform exactly the same than an Athlon XP with those specifications too. In your case...

Sempron 3000+ (Barton (512 KB Cache L2), 2000 MHz (166 MHz FSB * 12x Multiplier))
Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton (512 KB Cache L2), 2166 MHz (166 MHz FSB * 13x Multiplier))

The Athlon XP 3000+ got a faster Frecuency while all the other specifications are the same, so it would be faster. However, normally, Athlons XP are much more expensive than Semprons, so you should judge by specifications.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information