AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Help Intel to AMD change.....
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/24/2005 08:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/24/2005 08:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zefal

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone could help, my friend managed to fry his pentium 4, by running it at 90C for about 3 months cos the fan stopped working. So i said i would as i fix PC's all the time. However i have a problem i cant fix.

I upgraded as cheap for him as possible for maximum power and got a amd sempron 2300+, with new motherboard and RAM. But windows will not boot now that this has been changed.

Can you change from an Intel CPU to AMD and expect windows to work the same without a re-install?

I have upgraded many a CPU, but all have been from intel to intel, or AMD to AMD. And windows will still work, even if a little unstable.

He has a lot of data on his PC, and i cannot be bothered to transfer the Hard drive to my PC, save the data and re-install windows, so i just wonderd if any new any quick way around this problem.

Thanks !! /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' />

-------------------------
"Theres no place like 127.0.0.1"
 08/25/2005 01:27 AM

Author Icon
AMD808

It is likely not going to happen. The chipset drivers between the two different boards will cause conflicts, thus, an un-bootable operating system. Best to do a clean install - a repair install can be attempted, if the installation prompts you that it can be done.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/25/2005 11:52 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

QUOTE(zefal @ Aug 24 2005, 04:21 PM)
Can you change from an Intel CPU to AMD and expect windows to work the same without a re-install?

No

Cheers

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

08/27/2005 05:51 AM

Author Icon
ejzohn

Zefal,
Even when changing from an XP 1900+ to a Sempron 3000+ I had to reinstall Windows and the chipset drivers or else I got random reboots. I will never upgrade the processor without reinstalling the operating system. The time to diagnose exceeds the time to reinstall software.

Ed
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information