Increase font size
Topic Title: Windows won't install on new system
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/08/2005 09:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/08/2005 09:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lyanto

Recently, I ordered this barebones system' ">http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...pNo=1431433&CatId=1279 from tigerdirect and put it together with parts from my old system. After putting it together, it booted up fine and I configured the BIOS. However, when I tried to reinstall Windows XP, it just locked up. This has happened on every attempt I've made.

PCChips M860 Motherboard
AMD Sempron 3100+
One 512 MB DDR400 PC3200 DIMM
NovaTech Radeon AI-9200SE
160 GB Western Digital IDE HDD (Primary)
40 GB Western Digital IDE HDD (Secondary)
I/O Magic Double Layer DVD +/- RW (Primary)
CenDyne CD-RW (Secondary)
400W ATX PSU

The CD is able to get to the stage where it asks if you want to install, repair, etc. However, when I press enter to install XP, it says "Please wait". I've waited for up to half an hour. The drive's LED is not lit. This is the same with both of my optical drives. I was wondering if this could be a hardware problem, since it can't seem to load the drives that already have windows installed either.

Edit: Something else is bugging me. My ATX power cord(s) has a 2x2 section that there's no room for in the header. The regular 5x2 section fits in perfectly but the 2x2 sticks out and can be seperated. I don't believe it's for the CPU power because I've already plugged one in there and those wires are black and yellow, whereas this one's wires are not. Any idea what it is?
 08/08/2005 10:49 PM

Author Icon
Stone_age
Alpha Geek

Sounds like a jumper problem on your HD's. The bios is confused as to which one to load to. If your using a 40 wire cable for your HD's that could be the cause. The New 24 Pin molex ATX plugs, look for them on all new PSU's.

-------------------------
Phenom II X6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Phenom II X4 945, Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
Zacate E-350, MSI E350IS -E45

http://classicplatforms.com
 08/08/2005 11:10 PM

Author Icon
Lyanto

Hmm, well after the first few tries, I removed everything I didn't need, including disconnecting my secondary hard and optical drives (I had jumpers on them before, but I removed them as they weren't really necessary anymore). I'm not using a 40 wire cable; those are the ones for the opticals right? I guess the 24 works okay in the 20 pin power slot so I'll just leave it.

Looks like I may have to use my Pentium III system for awhile longer afterall. I've done everything I can think of for 3 days and nothing's changed. In hindsight, it was a decidedly bad idea to buy a mobo brand I had never even heard of before (PCChips) even if it was quite cheap.
 08/09/2005 04:19 AM

Author Icon
bogey
Ardrid Returned

With that 24pin plug, does it matter which end of the plug is not connected?

Is the hard drive detected in the bios?

Have you tried testing the memory with a memtest bootable floppy or cd? It could possibly be incompatible with the board.

That is a very cheap package. I'm not even sure the power supply is up to the job!

MSI K7N2 Delta2 LSR|35w XP-M2400 11x214 1.62V|2x512MB OCZ EL 2 2 2 11 2.9V|9600XT|Seasonic 350w
Abit AN7|XP-M2800 10.5x227 1.62V|2x512MB Mushkin XP4000 2 3 2 11 3.2V|9600XT|Seasonic 550w
Asus A7V600|XP-M2600 6-11x202 1.6V|2x512 Crucial PC3200 2.5 3 3 9 2.7V|PCI 32MB gfx|Corsair 450w
 08/09/2005 11:44 AM

Author Icon
Lyanto

All my devices are detected (except for the Radeon, but the VGA isn't listed in the BIOS anyway). As for memtest, the laptop I'm using doesn't have the ability to make one... Though the label on the DIMM says DDR400 PC3200, which the mobo manual says it supports.

I've removed all necessary components so unless something is causing one of the parts to use an insane amount of power for no apparent reason, I think a 400W PSU can support a Sempron, one 512 DIMM, one fairly old graphics card, and 2 IDE drives. I'm gonna start looking into the return policy >_>

Does it matter if my PSU connector is 24 pin while my motherboard connector is 20 pin? I've been Google'ing around and I've found 20 to 24 pin adapters and vice versa. I was wondering if this could possibly be the reason and whether I should buy a 24 to 20.
 08/09/2005 02:00 PM

Author Icon
JHawk56
Elite

I doubt it's the power connector.

Is this an original-release Windows XP disk, i.e. prior to SP1? They don't support hard drives larger than 137GB.

The drives with XP already installed won't work because, unlike previous Windows versions, XP is very picky about drivers. Unless the old and new mobos have the same chipset, or at least use the same IDE driver, it usually won't work.

If it's a lack of SP1 that's hanging you up, you could create an SP1 or SP2 disk on another PC with a CD burner. Google for "slipstream XP" and you'll find some articles.

John

My ECS/PCCHIPS/Amptron PCs<br>ASRock K7VM2
 08/09/2005 02:10 PM

Author Icon
Lyanto

It's a Windows XP with SP2 disc. My drive is partitioned into 30GB and 120GB sections. I've also tried with two 10 GB drives, each a different brand (WD and Maxtor). Someone I know asked me if I had worn an anti-static wristband, which I didn't. I'm not sure if static electricity could cause that much damage though.
 08/10/2005 09:40 PM

Author Icon
krehldar

I also got the exact same barebones from tigerdirect, had to go buy a different case and power supply as I haven't received the one from tigerdirect yet, but I experienced the same problem, thinking it was probably memory I bought kingston 512mb DDR333mhz memory and experiencing same problem, running a bootable memory test cause lock up, system intermitently locks up durring the boot process while on quickboot, but if quick boot is disabled then constantly locks durring the post, at 256mb of the memory count. Locks even with nothing but cpu, memory, video connected, I have it running at the moment on a hard drive that has windows me installed but intermittant lock ups and reboots are happening. Any suggestions? Did you get yours working?........I'm thinking it's most likely the motherboard but any suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated please
 08/11/2005 08:32 PM

Author Icon
Ocean Toad

QUOTE(Lyanto @ Aug 8 2005, 09:55 PM)Recently, I ordered this barebones system' ">http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...pNo=1431433&CatId=1279 from tigerdirect and put it together with parts from my old system. After putting it together, it booted up fine and I configured the BIOS. However, when I tried to reinstall Windows XP, it just locked up. This has happened on every attempt I've made.

PCChips M860 Motherboard
AMD Sempron 3100+
400W ATX PSU

The CD is able to get to the stage where it asks if you want to install, repair, etc. However, when I press enter to install XP, it says "Please wait". I've waited for up to half  an hour. The drive's LED is not lit. This is the same with both of my optical drives. I was wondering if this could be a hardware problem, since it can't seem to load the drives that already have windows installed either.

Edit: Something else is bugging me. My ATX power cord(s) has a 2x2 section that there's no room for in the header. The regular 5x2 section fits in perfectly but the 2x2 sticks out and can be seperated. I don't believe it's for the CPU power because I've already plugged one in there and those wires are black and yellow, whereas this one's wires are not. Any idea what it is?
[right][snapback]477025[/snapback][/right]

08/11/2005 08:35 PM

Author Icon
Ocean Toad

QUOTE(Lyanto @ Aug 8 2005, 09:55 PM)Recently, I ordered this barebones system' ">http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...pNo=1431433&CatId=1279 from tigerdirect and put it together with parts from my old system. After putting it together, it booted up fine and I configured the BIOS. However, when I tried to reinstall Windows XP, it just locked up. This has happened on every attempt I've made.

PCChips M860 Motherboard
AMD Sempron 3100+
400W ATX PSU

The CD is able to get to the stage where it asks if you want to install, repair, etc. However, when I press enter to install XP, it says "Please wait". I've waited for up to half  an hour. The drive's LED is not lit. This is the same with both of my optical drives. I was wondering if this could be a hardware problem, since it can't seem to load the drives that already have windows installed either.

[right][snapback]477025[/snapback][/right]

I am having the same problem. Different MB. We can't all be that stupid. I may be on my last AMD processor. I do not have this problem with a Celeron processor. HD boots fine. Put it in the Sempron 3100+ MB, and the big zero. I hope someone comes up with the solution. The mb manufacturer in my case (Chaintech) was no help. Good luck!

08/12/2005 02:40 AM

Author Icon
krehldar

I can't picture what you're meaning by 2x2 that won't fit in the header, if I could I might be able to tell you, as for where I stand, testing using sisoft's Sandra, as well as ultrax memory tester, cpu checks out fine, locks up when it tests the memory, and seeing that it did the exact same thing when I place brand new tested kingston 512mb DDR 333 in it then all that is left is the board, either the cache or the memory slots I would think, MSI, and Asus are usually the boards I used to go with when I had my computer store, being on disability the last couple years I don't have money like I used to so was trying to save money, on my budget systems I would use biostar, I am not familiar with pcchips but talking to a couple other techs they have had problems with them before, as for chaintech I am not sure of at all.

Did we all buy from TigerDirect around the same time??
They were moving all thier stuff around had them in trailors so I was told by their customer service rep, possible they had problems durring their warehouse redo?
 08/15/2005 10:31 AM

Author Icon
Lyanto

QUOTE(krehldar @ Aug 10 2005, 08:40 PM)I also got the exact same barebones from tigerdirect, had to go buy a different case and power supply as I haven't received the one from tigerdirect yet, but I experienced the same problem, thinking it was probably memory I bought kingston 512mb DDR333mhz memory and experiencing same problem, running a bootable memory test cause lock up, system intermitently locks up durring the boot process while on quickboot, but if quick boot is disabled then constantly locks durring the post, at 256mb of the memory count. Locks even with nothing but cpu, memory, video connected, I have it running at the moment on a hard drive that has windows me installed but intermittant lock ups and reboots are happening. Any suggestions? Did you get yours working?........I'm thinking it's most likely the motherboard but any suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated please
[right][snapback]478556[/snapback][/right]

Yes... I did. It really was a memory problem. I swapped it out with another DIMM with the same specs (512 MB, DDR400, PC3200) and strangely it works. I wonder how much testing TD does on its systems before advertising them...

And krehldar, I've figured out what the extra 4 pins are for on the power cord. It's for mobos with PCI Express.
 09/11/2005 07:39 AM

Author Icon
les37b

QUOTE(Lyanto @ Aug 15 2005, 03:31 PM)Yes... I did. It really was a memory problem. I swapped it out with another DIMM with the same specs (512 MB, DDR400, PC3200) and strangely it works. I wonder how much testing TD does on its systems before advertising them...

And krehldar, I've figured out what the extra 4 pins are for on the power cord. It's for mobos with PCI Express.
[right][snapback]481430[/snapback][/right]

Strangely, the system quoted above is very similar to the 2 I am currently struggleing with and I actually had the exact same problem. I swapped the SATA drives out, new IDEs in etc. I run memtest86 and the DDR400 3200 Crucial 512MB ram had 100% errors! On one machine bad luck - but on two - something wasnt quite right.

Anyway after speaking to Crucial, they suggested looking for a newer bios - and this turned out to be the problem. Once installed, the machine got passed the "please wait" and completed.

Now, I have continued problems with the M860 board, as it locks up, jitters and freezes for a few seconds my ATI radeon 9250. I have tested these cards elsewhere and they are fine - so its another M860 cockup. The only reason I came upon this thread, was because the PCChips site is down at the moment and I was searching for drivers. I saw another forum post regarding this card and MB suggesting it ended up being the LAN drivers.

Its certainly put me off buying another PC Chips product. The Install CD is confusing (esp if you are using SATA - for which there isnt even a reference in the manual) and is causing conflicts all over the place. In the 50 or more PCs I have built, this is oneis by far the most problematic.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information